extruder problem

fisky

extruder problem

Post by fisky » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:20 am

hi all, I have a i3 pro 3 and had all the usual problems which I have managed to fix myself and accept this is part of the ownership of these printers. I'm generally pleased with it and it suits my needs atm however I'm having extruder problems. I have had the plastic parts break and replaced them some time ago for metal ones, but now I'm getting that dreaded clicking noise from the extruder drive. I have changed to a new PLA spool of filament and even tried another and even upped the extrusion temp. The spring tension make no difference either. The extruder skips/clicks in the same places like the bed is way off but it isn't, I have checked this many times it is set as it has always been set. I have even removed the filament completely and the extruder still skips/clicks. So I'm thinking it's the motor, I have checked voltage which was 0.8V so adjusted to 1.0V in fact adjusted all to 1.0V as one was just under 0.8V. Also when this happens the LCD panel goes a bit crazy. The other thing I have noticed is the red LED flashes and today it went out then stayed on then flashes, I'm not sure if this is normal.

cheers paul

LoBoHEAT

Re: extruder problem

Post by LoBoHEAT » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:23 am

Hi!

when extruder clicking usually it´s clog, clean the nozzle and inside the barrel, check if PTFE tube inside barrel it´s ok.

Best regards.
Please, support my collaboration, buy me a Kofi https://ko-fi.com/lachusmadeti THANKS!!

fisky

Post by fisky » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:57 pm

Yeah thanks for the reply but if you read about my problem it happens (clicking/skipping) even without any filament (completely removed) and no load on the motor and even with the tensioner removed too so it isn't a clog.

Kind regards

LoBoHEAT

Post by LoBoHEAT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:24 am

Hi!

Correct, sorry, I missed to this. Probably bad motor, as fast test, put X axis motor and test, and if works it´s the motor.

Best regards.
Please, support my collaboration, buy me a Kofi https://ko-fi.com/lachusmadeti THANKS!!

fisky

Post by fisky » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 am

thanks, I was going to try that the other day but was put off as motors are different size. The extruder motor works and by that I mean I can raise it then heat extruder and it feeds ok. It's only when I go to print that it faults, I watch it turns then skips/clicks always in the same place with or without filament, it's like the motor has a dead spot. I ordered a complete extruder assembly as it was cheap. I might swap over drivers too while I'm waiting for parts.

best regards

LoBoHEAT

Post by LoBoHEAT » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:20 am

For test the size don´t matter, if always fails at the same position problably mechanical problem of motor. Yes, another extruder for replacement parts it´s a good idea.

Best regards.

fisky

Post by fisky » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:56 am

thanks, I ordered a new motor from geeetech which was complete assembly (hotend tensioner fan and stuff). It came yesterday and I just fitted it and new one even worse. so just swapped over drivers and no difference and now I can't even move extruder at all and with no load (filament). Both motors work if I plug into X. I getting fed up with my geeetech ownership.

LoBoHEAT

Post by LoBoHEAT » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:32 am

fisky wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:56 am
thanks, I ordered a new motor from geeetech which was complete assembly (hotend tensioner fan and stuff). It came yesterday and I just fitted it and new one even worse. so just swapped over drivers and no difference and now I can't even move extruder at all and with no load (filament). Both motors work if I plug into X. I getting fed up with my geeetech ownership.

One possibility it´s bad extruder E0 on board, change at firmware to E1 and connect here driver and extruder.

Best regards.

LoBoHEAT

Post by LoBoHEAT » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:32 am

sorry, double post.

Best regards.

fisky

Post by fisky » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:13 am

Thanks I have sorted it now. Turns out it was a bad spot in the wiring loom, luckily the new extruder assembly came with a new one.