layer location shift

Spleen Machine

layer location shift

Post by Spleen Machine » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:12 pm

I finished building my Geeetech Pursa i3 ProB 3D printer and it has this dodgy location problem. It starts off a solid print on the first layer (sometimes) then the 2nd layer is on another location of the print bed. Sometimes infills are spread on different scale so for say i was printing a box, the infill would be extruded out of the square and in a incorrect pattern too. This mostly shifts across the X-axis. what got me confused about identifying the problem between mechanical and software was the fact each file had a certain pattern that was repeated without change and i managed to complete one print properly (kinda, the bottom layer was incorrect and shifted but the rest of the print was perfect after that)
omfg.jpg
tried to make a spinner
omfg.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 7825 times
Also, the rails for the Y-axis is on a very slight parallelogram shape but i don't think that relates to the location shift problem as the Y- axis still slides and isn't slanted enough to cause any major problems. I spent hours trying to straiten it but i couldn't seem too. The print bed moves opposite to the end stopper when homed, I have no idea why but i just click the end stop manually when it reaches the end of the shift space or it will damage the motor.

im using the Slic3r software for slicing and i used another software from school, a real high end one which i forgot the name, but that didn't fix it. i'm dying out here and i cant find the answers anywhere.

bang

Re: layer location shift

Post by bang » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:08 pm

So i have a question:
Did you modify the wrong direction of your bed?'Cuz you said it moved opposite to the endstop when homing?

Then concerning the layer shifting,check these tips:
You'd better check the tightness of your X axis belt(not too much loose or too tight),Y axis driver
A4988(try increasing the driver voltage),and the printing speed(slow it down to take a look).

This article gives the solution to fix it:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... salignment

Meanwhile,you'd better spread some lubricating oil on all the rods of your printer to make movement more smooth.

Spleen Machine

Post by Spleen Machine » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:46 pm

bang wrote:So i have a question:
Did you modify the wrong direction of your bed?'Cuz you said it moved opposite to the endstop when homing?

Then concerning the layer shifting,check these tips:
You'd better check the tightness of your X axis belt(not too much loose or too tight),Y axis driver
A4988(try increasing the driver voltage),and the printing speed(slow it down to take a look).

This article gives the solution to fix it:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin ... salignment

Meanwhile,you'd better spread some lubricating oil on all the rods of your printer to make movement more smooth.
Thanks. I have tried lubricating the rails and tightening the belt, however it did not work. The only option now i guess is to check the voltage.

im not quite sure why the Y-axis is acting this way as there is only one way to connect the stepper motor to the frame. Is this a circuit issue of some sort?

Soadyheid

Post by Soadyheid » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:00 am

Can you move the extruder from side to side with the motors disabled? Does it move freely or do you have tight spots? The bars need to be parallel and straight as they are what gives the printer accuracy. (I had at least one bar which had a 0.020" deviation which I wasn't happy about. Luckily I've got an arrow straightener which I used on all the bars and managed to get them to about 0.0035" without breaking the straightener! (Steel bars are harder to straighten than aluminium arrows!)
If you've got tight spots there's a possibility that the X motor might be stalling which would give you the location shifts. (stepper motors can stall easily, DC motors don't)
You should be able to check this using manual controls either via the LCD or Repetier-host (which I think is easier). Any clicks mean the motor's stalling plus you'll see the hesitation.
Worth checking the Y axis for tight spots as well. I used a steel ruler to ensure the height of the Z axis lead screw "nuts" were both at the same height from the motor mounting plates when initially setting the printer up otherwise the nuts could bind.

Anyway... Just my two cents worth,

Play Bonny!