Found myself with a printer I can't communicate with

bunnysando

Found myself with a printer I can't communicate with

Post by bunnysando » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:25 pm

so to begin with I have had some experience with 3D printing, i have printed my own models in class and I have a good friend with a few printers which i have messed around with...if any of that counts for anything.

but i'm in over my head a little bit...

So I got my A10M (dual spool) up and running...After leveling I, tried to print the dog, but the extruder started about halfway up the gantry...stopped the print. Decided to connect to my win10 pc and use the software...Somewhere between upgrading marlin and and upgrading the driver for the USB port i get 2 black bars across my screen. Yes, I did have the SD card in during the procedure and have since tried with it removed. I checked the ribbon cable...I tried reflashing the the firmware again and with an older version of marlin, but had no luck, arduino kicks up errors. I have tried using the firmware upgrade in easyprint3d but it says the printer is not connected or is unknown. The latest version recognized it as an A10 and has the right port but won't connect for upgrade. My pc recognizes the printer as an unknown device. When I initially connected it to the pc, it never said wohoo this has been connected...I had to go into the device manager to see that it was there.

So after reading through some of the threads I think that maybe my board might be borked...

any thoughts?

bunnysando

Re: Found myself with a printer I can't communicate with

Post by bunnysando » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 pm

I just tried to run marlin 1.1.9 Firmware and got this error

C:\Users\John_p\AppData\Local\Temp\ccwE12SG.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `main':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/main.cpp:43: undefined reference to `setup'

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/main.cpp:46: undefined reference to `loop'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

buttervonwaffle

Post by buttervonwaffle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:28 am

First off if your using Arduino compiler for upload, does the com port show when you plug in your printer?
Second what version of Arduino compiler are you using to upload what version of marlin firmware?
(please drop a link for what firmware your using curious about what build it is)

If its the marlin 1.1.9 the suggested Arduino compiler I believe is 1.8.5
For Marlin 2.0 beta which is mixed by vert here in the forums, I used the newest Arduino loader 1.8.8 and loaded perfectly.

I'm not saying the wrong compiler is the issue, but if your using the wrong software versions it can make everything go a little wonky.
If something I said just helped you out tremendously you can drop a little ramen money, the coding monkeys in my basement will appreciate it - Feed them here

You can private message me if you have any questions I might be able to help.

bunnysando

Post by bunnysando » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:27 am

Thanks for the responce.

I'm using Arduino 1.8.5 and it sees the port, COM 5.

I have used the firmware from the A10 FAQ or posts from vert
A10_marlin1.1.8
Geeetech_A10M_Marlin_1.1.9_Firmware

When I run A10_marlin1.1.8 today that I get this error.
Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\John_p\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_218358\core\core_arduino_avr_mega_cpu_atmega2560_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a
Sketch uses 125520 bytes (49%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 5007 bytes (61%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3185 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM5": Access is denied.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.

and so on..

When I turn my printer on and off, my pc makes a beep, so i know it knows if it's there or not.

buttervonwaffle

Post by buttervonwaffle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 am

Alright thanks for the info, something else to check, It most likely isn't a bricked board, since your computer does detect it as well as Arduino. Close down any other programs that could be using that serial for that printer, such as cura, Pronterface, Easyprinter anything that uses that printer to do anything besides Arduino. Then try to upload, you can also shutdown or lower your firewalls see if that's causing issues.

If your board is communicating with your PC, it just sounds like something is interfering with Arduino loading its code, and whatever that is needs to be isolated and shut off.

Again could be a bricked board, but I highly doubt it.
If something I said just helped you out tremendously you can drop a little ramen money, the coding monkeys in my basement will appreciate it - Feed them here

bunnysando

Post by bunnysando » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 am

so I have had nothing running when I try to get the firmware going...but that got me thinking about that it's going through a USB hub, so I turned the other connections off and ran the A10_marlin1.1.8 again..similar errors as before but this caught my attention...
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
the selected serial port
does not exist or your board is not connected
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.
My device manager says it's there but calls it USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM5)

buttervonwaffle

Post by buttervonwaffle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 am

Try plugging it directly to your pc. I know it sounds silly, but arduino is super picky about how its uploads firmware, so something as simple as a usb hub can actually throw it off when uploading the firmware as well as a generic USB cable, I always connect it directly to my pc's motherboard usb's and use the provided blue cable specifically.

Its real good that your PC is recognizing it, And the China GT2560 uses a CH340 chip so at least its recognizing the drivers properly.

bunnysando

Post by bunnysando » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 am

aaaayyyyyy...thats what I'm talking about.

Thank you for the help

I get paid friday...i'll be sending a little ramen money for your monkeys...

buttervonwaffle

Post by buttervonwaffle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 am

Alright thats great to hear! Glad I could help let me know how shes printing when you get it all dialed in!

bunnysando

Post by bunnysando » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 am

well damn...looks as though my x stopper is not functioning