Software 101

byplane108

Software 101

Post by byplane108 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:06 am

I finally got my i3 together. Thus far all axes will home and offset from there. I should note that right now I'm only using the controller on the printer. I have a dedicated PC for it but its not ready yet. I have yet to find any instructions for the settings in the printer's controller. So far it's been educated guesses and luck. That said, I'm trying to set the X, Y, and Z travel limits. I have yet to find a post to answer that question. I've been through the Controls > Motion menu but I can't seem to find a modifiable parameter that will do what I want. I did find steps/per and calibrated all the axes. And manual movement confirms that part is correct. I have seen a lot of mention about "firmware." I'm a little confused about which software that refers to. I think I'm missing a link. I thought Repetier-host and Cura were draw/design/export programs. On that note, what do I need to install on the PC to finish this build? For what it's worth I have Mach3 that I use on my CNC mill. I only mention that because I seen many a reference to Gcode. Should I install it on my printer PC? Thanks to any and all that can get me headed in the right direction.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Software 101

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Hello.
:mrgreen:

The confusion around printer firmware is not good and can cause headaches especially to new users.
This is not good and it would be worth systematizing it unambiguously.

In addition, the produced multitude of versions of the controller board is not conducive to proper organizing. I think that in some time this will change positively. ;)

When choosing the software, you have to follow the rules:
  • Type and version of the controller board you have (GTM32xxx rev yyy, GT2560 rev xxx).
  • A printer model.
  • Additional equipment (different types of sensors for automatic levelling and similar hardware accessories).
Repetier-Host or Cura etc. correspond to the functionality of Mach3 that you know.
That is, they control the device (your pronter) directly.
Most likely, you will also use your CNC milling machine from the Repetier-host program. Only why, if you have a different program prepared strictly for this type of equipment.

In this respect, you can take the following steps.
Prepare a model in 3D software.
  • Online programs:
  • Tinkercad
  • 3d SketchUp

Offline programs:
  • FreeCad

These are, of course, only a few examples.
Preparing a file for batch control - with Gcode commands. These programs are commonly referred to as slicers.
And finally, the programs for controlling the printer.
The functionality of the last two is often combined.

Examples are those you mentioned. ;)
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

byplane108

Post by byplane108 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:56 am

Thanks for the feedback kaktus. I had the luxury of using an eiger printer at work. That's what drove me to get my own. I've had good results with Sketchup as well. I use freecad after the fact because it has a repair function to make my model "water tight." It's very handy. My biggest hurdle is figuring out the finer/tuning details of the Geeetech i3. For instance I originally couldn't move the extruder until I blundered onto a post I found from a post back in 2015. The extruder won't move until the temp is above 170. But with that solved, I still don't know how to move the second extruder because on my Geeetch If I go to prep and move axis I can move x, y, z and extruder. There is no option for extruder 2. I thought this was a little odd since I bought a kit that only needed assembled, other than the leveling and steps per for measurement tuning. All the homing and offsets where close enough to get started right out of the box. But there is nothing for the second head.
I've seen some posts where folks post their gcode to make modify different functions but I'm still lost as to what software they are using to accomplish that.
Thanks again for any insight.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi.
:mrgreen:

To begin with, I will recommend the Repetier-Host.
It has the option to support multiple extruders.

Here is an instruction manual. It is compact and user-friendly.
:D
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

byplane108

Post by byplane108 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Awesome thanks for the link!