Extruder Clicking

Drekon89

Extruder Clicking

Post by Drekon89 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:46 am

Hi guys, I got a problem. Today I've changed my starting filament with new one (ABS+,1.75mm) . When I try to print, I hear clicking sound from Extruder. So i have to force the filament trough the nozzle to be extruded. How can I solve? And when there's no clicking,using EasyPrint, it prints the first layer then doesn't come out anymore.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Extruder Clicking

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed May 02, 2018 3:06 pm

it looks like you have a problem with the filament feeder.

Two solutions come to mind.
1. increase the stepper motor current by adjusting the Vref voltage on the controller module
2. increase the spring pressure inside the extruder

And the important question what is the set head temperature (hot end) for this material?

4130Stick

Post by 4130Stick » Wed May 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Extruder clicking sounds like the spring has lost a bit of tension, mine did this after the first week or so of printing and was solved by adding a spacer under the spring, i printed this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2274064 and have been printing without issue since.

If it has been printing fine before, then i wouldn't recommend playing with vref as having it to high can shorten the life of the motor.

If its been clicking you may find particles of the filament inside the the hotend causing a bit of a blockage, remove the filament and you should have had a rod with the printer toolkit for pushing filament through a blocked nozzle, just heat the nozzle up and push it through.
Also worth checking the knurled gear on the extruder too make sure it's not full of filament where its been grinding away as it's tried to push through a blocked, or to cold nozzle, as this also hinders the feeding of filament down to the nozzle.

Printing ABS temps should be 230-250 for Hot end and 90-95 for the bed with no fan blowing on the object being printed. It also helps printing in a warm environment, with no drafts.
Last edited by 4130Stick on Wed May 02, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BR365

Post by BR365 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:21 pm

I have this sometimes, too. But it was always the reason, that the filament wasn't really pushed down into the nozzle. It is a bit difficult to feed the fimaent into the extruder in the correct way.

Drekon89

Post by Drekon89 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:35 am

[quote=_kaktus_ post_id=83993 time=1525244808 user_id=62475]
it looks like you have a problem with the filament feeder.

Two solutions come to mind.
1. increase the stepper motor current by adjusting the Vref voltage on the controller module
2. increase the spring pressure inside the extruder

And the important question what is the set head temperature (hot end) for this material?
[/quote]
The Temperature is 220-240 ° . Today I've noticed that the clicking does not occur anymore, but the printer is underextruding.

Drekon89

Post by Drekon89 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:34 am

[quote=4130Stick post_id=83995 time=1525250096 user_id=65050]
Extruder clicking sounds like the spring has lost a bit of tension, mine did this after the first week or so of printing and was solved by adding a spacer under the spring, i printed this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2274064 and have been printing without issue since.

If it has been printing fine before, then i wouldn't recommend playing with vref as having it to high can shorten the life of the motor.

If its been clicking you may find particles of the filament inside the the hotend causing a bit of a blockage, remove the filament and you should have had a rod with the printer toolkit for pushing filament through a blocked nozzle, just heat the nozzle up and push it through.
Also worth checking the knurled gear on the extruder too make sure it's not full of filament where its been grinding away as it's tried to push through a blocked, or to cold nozzle, as this also hinders the feeding of filament down to the nozzle.

Printing ABS temps should be 230-250 for Hot end and 90-95 for the bed with no fan blowing on the object being printed. It also helps printing in a warm environment, with no drafts.
[/quote]

I've done as you say, now the extruder works better, even if the clicking is still there. Tomorrow i'll try to push with the rod to free the nozzle and I'll try to clear the gear. I'm printing at 240 degrees hotend with 100 degrees hot bed. You suggest to stop the fan on the extruder? The problem could also be that the filament is not perfectly vertical compared to the extruder?

Drekon89

Post by Drekon89 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:34 am

[quote=4130Stick post_id=83995 time=1525250096 user_id=65050]

[/quote]

I've done as you say, now the extruder works better, even if the clicking is still there. Tomorrow i'll try to push with the rod to free the nozzle and I'll try to clear the gear. I'm printing at 240 degrees hotend with 100 degrees hot bed. You suggest to stop the fan on the extruder? The problem could also be that the filament is not perfectly vertical compared to the extruder?