GT2560 MOSFET issue

Jaran

GT2560 MOSFET issue

Post by Jaran » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:21 am

Hello there! About 2-3 months back I changed out my Sanguinolo board for a GT2560. At first look everything worked as intended, but after starting a print I noticed the MOSFET for the heatbed get way too hot. Even poking it for 1/10th a seacond and it will burn you. On my sanguinolo board I had an extra fan mounted above the MOSFET and it would never get to the point I could put my finger on it. The GT2560 got the same fan mounted, aswell as a heatsink which the sanguinolo did not have.

I have been searching for a while and have checked that the heatsink is not shorted, nor the connections for the MOSFET. The cables are connected safely, and no shorts there either.

Here is a picture of the MOSFET(The heatsink is screwed off it for testing purposes):
http://i.imgur.com/TiAjE8r.jpg

Could a solution be to take the MOSFET from the sanguinolo board and solder it on to the GT2560 board?

William
Site Admin

Re: GT2560 MOSFET issue

Post by William » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 am

Do you test the voltage of the MOSFET, unstable voltage contribute mainly to overheating.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Jaran

Post by Jaran » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:36 pm

On the heatbed connection port or on the legs of the MOSFET itself?

I have checked at the connection port, which was steady at 12v.

Edit: Checked the voltage again, and now it started out at 9,5V and slowly built up to 10.70V ish when it was heated up.

Another thing to mention is that im only running the heatbed at 60C as I recently switched to PLA. There is no way you will be able to hold your finger on the mosfet, even within the first 10 seconds of powering on the heatbed. With the old sanguinolo board I used to have a temp of between 100-110C without the MOSFET getting warmer than 20-30C.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:20 am

I have probably realized your issue, and there is a post about how to fix the max temperature error may be help you.
http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 23&t=17030

Jaran

Post by Jaran » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:36 am

What? :? Im not getting any errors, my printer is working fine. Im just worried as the MOSFET for the heatbed is running way too hot, and im trying to find a solution to get it cooler.

redangel1984

Post by redangel1984 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Have you solved this issue? Is it an issue? I am also worried/ thinking of buying another separate mosfet?

Mine is also getting very very hot(can’t hold my finger on it not even 1sec) but everything is working fine. Printing great.
Hotbed is warming and keeping the temperature 60° for PLA.
Is this a power issue from the PowerSupply a GT2560-A+ board issue(mosfet defective?) or a HotBed issue?
I’ve measured 12.6V directly on the power supply when nothing connected.
When I connect to the board the FANs receive 11.0V
Resistance of the heatbed is 1.7Ohm

What can I further check?
I think it is not normal that the MOSFET is getting so hot.
Has anybody found a solution?
Thanks in advance.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Maybe you can swap the extruder and heat bed wiring then you can determine if it is a MOSFET problem

redangel1984

Post by redangel1984 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:30 pm

The mosfet is probably very hot because the big current, or the unstable Power supply. I didn’t figured it out. I am using without the heated bed as I am
using only PLA. I am thinking adding a better quality Mosfet, or a bigger Power supply, as the 15A power supply that came in the Kit it is on it limits. It can draw a maximum of 180W(15A*12V) as for my whole setup with part cooling Fan and everything is drawing at maximum load of approx. 178W. So on it’s limits. The Voltage drops under 10.2V when everything is on( heated bed, motors, hotend, fans, mainboard).
I also read that the Mosfets used in the GT2560 A+ are not the best ones for such a big current. So I am thinking of buying an extra mosfet board, something like this:
http://s.aliexpress.com/uuyuQBny.
It is a try worth for the couple of Euro-s.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:55 pm

The MOSfet on mainboard GT2560A+ is STP55NF06