No Response from stepper motors mini g2s pro

uijoti

No Response from stepper motors mini g2s pro

Post by uijoti » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to 3d printing and got my first printer for Christmas. I assembled it based on the instructions found in the wiki and am using the version of Marlin from the wiki as well. In the quick setup guide it starts by having the user level the bed with a... well level... by adjusting the screws, and that is all fine and good. The next step requires you to open up Repetier and set several settings, then to connect to the printer and telling it to go to the home position. I click the home button and the status still says idle, but after a few seconds changes to 'X commands waiting'. I did a little digging and this is typical of a communication problem, but the firmware update with the Arduino IDE went smoothly and Repetier seems to initialize the board (grabs firmware information and reads outputs from temp sensors) fine. I spent all of last night digging through all of the configurations and made sure they were appropriate to the guides. Nothing changed, and nothing happens.

So that brings me to tonight. All of the configurations are to the book so I figure it must be a connectivity problem. I unplugged all of the cables to the board (individually as to not mix them up) and reset them to ensure they were secure. Nothing. I changed USB ports and made sure the FDIR driver was installed and used appropriately in Device Manager (on a Windows 7 machine). Nothing. The screen consistently provides a temperature readout for the hot ends and the bed, as well as SD card status (that isn't present) and a line at the bottom that says 'Delta G2S ready.' I navigate the menu and find a means of manually moving axes and try that. Nothing.

I'm at a loss. My night tonight since getting home from work has been spent scouring the GeeeTech forums and trying steps for the closest issue I can find, but to no avail. All that I can hear is a faint hum of the fans and something electrical (assuming stepper motors) but nothing engages and nothing moves. So, my question to you all, is multi part.

What are the chances of receiving 3 bad stepper motors?
What configuration files are needed to post for proper diagnosis?
Is there a means of exporting an error log file from the instance of Marlin that is on the device?
Are there any other areas to diagnose that has been overlooked?

uijoti

Re: No Response from stepper motors mini g2s pro

Post by uijoti » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:05 am

Can I get input from an admin or something? Did I put this in the wrong subforum? Is this forum not very active? Or am I just screwed? I sent in a ticket with technical support last night but havent received a response.

uijoti

Post by uijoti » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:13 am

I might as well document progress in this thread. Troubleshooting today included:

I checked the voltages according to http://www.geeetech.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1512 and they were all grossly under powered. Between 0.4 to 0.6V. I've adjusted them all to be right at 1.1V. I'm getting a little over 12V from the power supply and according to http://www.geeetech.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1610, should be getting 12V from the marked locations. I'm getting a little over 4V. Fried board?

Repetier is still giving the '1 Command Waiting' error, so I tried to move the z axis manually. In the first menu, I went to 'Prepare' -> 'Move Axis'. The printer still did not respond to a 10mm height increase command. I did not receive error messages from either attempt at movement. I've also attempted to heat up both of the hot ends and the bed, but none of them rose above ambient temperatures. Could it be a firmware issue?

Cup

Post by Cup » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:06 am

Hi,
I'm suspecting you have a bad PSU.
You can refer this to make some tests:
http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 18&t=18061

uijoti

Post by uijoti » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:03 pm

The link you provided is broken into steps. Here are my results from each step.

Step 1: Pass
Step 2: Pass
Step 3: 3.38V on either side of the fuse
Step 4: 4.3V

It's being under fed by a decent margin. It sounds like the fuse is bad maybe?

EDIT: Just to be safe, the board is a GT2560 and I'm running 110V to the PSU. Also, I measured with the USB cable plugged in for these values. Without USB plugged in (Just running on PSU power) steps 1 and 2 still pass, but 3 reads 0V and 4 reads 1.4V.

uijoti

Post by uijoti » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:49 am

So, I began unplugging everything again in an attempt to help isolate the issue. I didn't think much of it earlier, but I don't know what the runs of the PCB look like. Could the image below cause a short in the board or something? It's the leads coming through the board from the power supply.

http://imgur.com/a/DHQOl

bang

Post by bang » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:48 am

uijoti wrote:So, I began unplugging everything again in an attempt to help isolate the issue. I didn't think much of it earlier, but I don't know what the runs of the PCB look like. Could the image below cause a short in the board or something? It's the leads coming through the board from the power supply.

http://imgur.com/a/DHQOl
No,the soldering is right.
How is your test going?

uijoti

Post by uijoti » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:07 am

I was unsure about it being a bad power supply as there was no response from the previous poster. I ended up grabbing one out of an old computer and getting it to run the printer (output amperage matched with the unit that came with the printer). Now it runs fine in standalone mode, the extruder and bed heat up, and all of the fans boot up fine. I'm still getting a communication issue with repetier when trying to send a home signal though and no response from it or from the printer controls when trying to move the motors. They will be locked in place when the unit is first powered but when told to move axes, the motors go limp (can be rotated by hand) for a short duration then lock back into place without movement. Any suggestions there?

bang

Post by bang » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:03 pm

So did you select the right baud rate(250000) and COM port(check the Device Manager)?
And could you upload the firmware with Arduino successfully?

uijoti

Post by uijoti » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:14 pm

I was able to get the firmware uploaded and running, and communication established between repetier host and the printer. The error was only happeneing when I tried to initiate the motors from either the computer or the display on the printer. I ended up just using an instance of repetier firmware and that solved the issue, so there is something wrong with the version of marlin that is posted on the wiki.