How I solved MOSFET overheating...

FugBucker

How I solved MOSFET overheating...

Post by FugBucker » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:21 am

The only way I could see to solve this problem was to fit another fan. I modified a heatsink I had as well to help.

Now I have to sort out the problem of the extruder carriage gradually bending after a few hours of use....

Image Image

midiman310

Re: How I solved MOSFET overheating...

Post by midiman310 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Go to the "For people who wants STL files of parts " thread and print the RAMPS cooling fan STL file. It's a nice elegant solution to holding a 40mm fan in place right over the MOSFETS.

FugBucker

Post by FugBucker » Tue May 12, 2015 4:47 pm

I have mounted a smaller fan now in the same place and cut the heatsink in half.

The heatsink does not even get warm now with the fan running all the time.....

midiman310

Post by midiman310 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:07 pm

That looked to be a *HUGE* heatsink before you cut it in half. :) You could even get way with a lighter fan now. I used a peel and stick 5/8" heatsink and an old video card fan. Basically whatever was available in the junk box. System happy as a clam. I did however have heat saturation after printing ABS after 3 1/2 hours. I would get severe loss of steps on all axis and the program would keep printing. Happened a couple of times, always after 3+ hours of printing, and only with ABS. Found the problem to be my stock 180W power supply that came with the printer. As the power supply kept heating up from delivering what amounts to nearly MAX current for so long, the voltage finally drops off to 8.76 volts, then recovers, after about a minute. I had an older 12V/360W power supply from my Christmas LED display that I put in its place and systems been rock solid ever since. Also, I'm set up if and when I transition over to dual extruder.

FugBucker

Post by FugBucker » Wed May 13, 2015 9:58 am

I'm playing with ABS temperatures atm. Most of my prints at 235 have that gritty effect all over them. I've been upping the temp and am at 248/120 for my current print. It looks promising and the electrics seem to be handling it. It's giving out a stronger odour though..... :shock:

midiman310

Post by midiman310 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:28 am

It's giving out a stronger odour though..... :shock:
Yep, it sure puts out a chemical smell. First thing I tried printing in ABS was the extruder holder. So funny, as the first cut at it, the print let go 1/2 way through the job. By the time I came back to check on it, the nozzle was dragging the print around surrounded by a ball of ABS string. :lol: Got some aerospace grade Kapton tape on the glass and print sticks no problem when printing ABS. I have to remember to flip the glass over when printing PLA otherwise its next to impossible to pry the print off the tape. Yeah, so one side is for ABS and the other for PLA. Works great!

g3gg0

Post by g3gg0 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:34 am

thats how i solved these issues.
no fan needed anymore - mosfets get only a bit warm, not hot anymore.

http://www.g3gg0.de/wordpress/uncategor ... rovements/

donny98

Post by donny98 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:58 pm

Thanks! It really helped understanding alot of things unclear in my mind, :) Extra Discount

imrozahmad

Post by imrozahmad » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:36 pm

How to Activate Showtime Anytime? Install Showtime Anytime, the Showtime Everytime App to the Android Smart TV. * The app can be downloaded on the official website
Showtimeanytime/activate
play.google.com/redeem
lowe's gift card balance
primevideo/mytv
amazon.com/mytv
amazon.com/redeem
amazon.com/code
amazon.com/mytv
primevideo/mytv
amazon.com/code
amazon.com/redeem check balance
amazon.com/redeem check balance