Replacement Bed Options

Matsubaa

Replacement Bed Options

Post by Matsubaa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:38 am

My bed has stopped heating reliably and even errors out the printer if I try. I'm looking into replacements and fixes.

Aside from the official Geeetech parts, are there any other compatible beds I should consider as a potential upgrade or replacement?

William
Site Admin

Re: Replacement Bed Options

Post by William » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:22 am

Hi,Are you referring to the fact that the bed itself cannot be heated?
Are you measuring thermistors on a hot bed?
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Matsubaa

Post by Matsubaa » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:43 am

If I set my bed to heat to 60C, it gets to about 57C and holds there until the thermal protection kicks in and shuts everything down. It will still *sometimes* get to temp but not reliably so. I assume it's a broken solder connection on the bottom of the bed but I haven't torn it down for full inspection yet.

At this point literally every time I've replaced, fixed or adjusted anything on this printer, something else has broken and so I just jump to looking at replacements rather than assume I can service anything and I know to expect it to be some degree of disaster.

Sodium100mg

Post by Sodium100mg » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:42 pm

Try manually heating it to 40c, then go to 60c.

The software has protection built in to prevent runaway heat and fire. You may just be getting a false scare signal. There is a process to calibrate the bed heating, that I have not tried. You could try moving the temp sensor and see it it changes the reading a little. The temp is measured by a probe pushed in a hole, if not well positioned, it can read air and make the temp lag slow. Apparently the calibration deals with this, but just reseating the sensor could press it against the aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpWCKNagjuI

For a better bed, I bought boro glass (boroscoptic?) and adheared it with spray mist adhesive for screen printing and use hairspray for adhesion.

If you can walk up to 40c to 60c, the heater is fine and the software is confused, which could be contact location.

Matsubaa

Post by Matsubaa » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:14 am

I've gone back and run the M303 E-1 S60 which worked fine. It's possible in my tinkering I broke those settings so I'll cross my fingers and see what happens.

Matsubaa

Post by Matsubaa » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:22 am

I don't exactly understand what's happened now - I an auto-tune the PID to any temp I please and it works fine.

Once tuned, the bed stalls out around 50-51 degrees until the protection kicks in again and shuts it down.