A10M Retraction Settings

The Toxophilite

A10M Retraction Settings

Post by The Toxophilite » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 pm

I have been trying to dial in my retraction settings for about a week now. I started with 0 retraction for a base level and increased the retraction distance by 2 mm all they way up to 24 mm retraction distance at a 25 mm/s retraction speed at a temp of 190C (i previously did a heat calibration test and 190 was the best for my current PLA filament). The best one was 20 mm but it still had a little bit of stringing and the pole showed signs of over retraction. I went down to 18 mm and tried to increase retraction speed by 5 mm/s up to 40 mm/s, and that didn't help. Next i tried adding a 1 mm Zhop which kinda worked the stringing was much more fine but still to much. Has anyone had any success with their A10M retraction settings? if so what retraction settings are you using? i think the next thing i will try is increasing my travel speed i think it is just at the default on the latest Cura edition as of 1/30/19, 9:14am CST. Any help or suggestions on retraction settings would be much appreciated.

dionlima

Re: A10M Retraction Settings

Post by dionlima » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:37 am

In S3D the retration works best than cura for this printer but I cant find a solution for this, I'm startit to think this printer is junk.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am

I think you can refer to it:
Retract speed:40mm/s
Retract distance:6.5mm
;)
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

dionlima

Post by dionlima » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:36 am

I don't know if my printer has any issue but I just can't deal with stringing, I've already tried a lot of combinations of retraction distance, speed and coasting with no success

Akuma

Post by Akuma » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:07 am

Same here. 10 times worse when doing dual extrusion.
Never had so many issues with a printer. I'm trying PVA as a support material and it's blobbing and stringing like mad. The worst part is when I have retraction set at 18mm and 30mm/s and when it does this before going to the prime tower it leaves big string within the printer PLA. Combing settings "avoid printed parts when travelling" get ignored.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:09 am

Akuma wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:07 am
Same here. 10 times worse when doing dual extrusion.
Never had so many issues with a printer. I'm trying PVA as a support material and it's blobbing and stringing like mad. The worst part is when I have retraction set at 18mm and 30mm/s and when it does this before going to the prime tower it leaves big string within the printer PLA. Combing settings "avoid printed parts when travelling" get ignored.
Hi Akuma,

You referred to you to print PVA with your A10M.
As I know,the multi-mixer hotend won't fit it.
You need to use the dual hotend print PVA+PLA/PVA+ABS.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

naciron

Post by naciron » Thu May 16, 2019 8:02 pm

finally i found the right settings and was able to print the retraction test without any stringing. A10m, both extruders in use.

here you can see the history. the final one without stringing is using a lower temperature for my filament (190 in my case) and 200mm/s travel speed with default retraction settings in cura (6.5 retraction, 40mm/s retract speed). The wrong ones are just retractions settings I tried before I found they are not the problem.

so my summary is, just leave retraction to default (enabled) but find the right temperature were your filament is not stringing and definitely use the higher travel speed setting. Also I do not use Z-hop.

I'm using the Marlin 2 firmware with the night builds from user Vert who is also admin in here. I also removed the discs in the hotend as described by Vert in his discord: https://discord.gg/5yACNxr But I recommend to try without removing them first (as that is a hardware change and that is on your own risk if you try it).

Model for retraction test is from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2802350
a10m-stringing-solved-small.png
a10m-stringing-solved-small.png (2.09 MiB) Viewed 38905 times
Last edited by naciron on Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wotor

Post by wotor » Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us. I will definitely try your settings.

naciron

Post by naciron » Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 am

Before and after the stringing tweaks (discs removed, default retraction settings, higher travel speed 200mm/s, lower temperature 190 degree for my material)
a10m-stringing-comparison.png
a10m-stringing-comparison.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 38865 times

Jarda3d

Post by Jarda3d » Sun May 19, 2019 7:56 pm

That small steel things, is it filter?

Try to use my printer profile. Note that I have untouched E steps, so there are some multiplies.

So what you need to change
- 13mm retract to 10mm
- retract speed divide by 1.27

Note that I use higher temps (up to 258 due unstability at 260 and more is not able by printer limits) and ABS only. At work I use 270 and speeds about 200mm/s (but first layer 20) with some higher price level printer.

There is another problem with small extruder driver force for mixing hotend at higher speeds. Some kind of dual drive needed.

Take look at the fittings, they are too loose. But my retract work with these loose fittings. But you could try this if you have stock of spare fittings - it could break inner mechanism. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2798864
A10M Slic3r profile: here and fresh on github (lot of tips here)
A10 Slic3r profile: here
TIP: tight all screws and wheels (except right side of Z axis) and re-align frame while assembly. And silence it.