Prusa i3 Pro W - Firware issues

Apexhunter

Prusa i3 Pro W - Firware issues

Post by Apexhunter » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:02 am

Ok, let me ask the group a question. This printer is a mass-produced device, and if assembled as per instructions the printer should work after some adjustments, right? I mean really, the Arduino software is pretty standard and only the real variable is the Firmware. I would think (silly me) that the firmware after all these years has been refined for this device and it should work right? Well it doesn't.

I've have downloaded the appropriate firmware and made the necessary edits. When compiled and uploaded to the printer, the printer does not move.
The only firmware that the printer seems to semi-work with is the one uploaded from EasyPrint3d.

This EasyPrint3d uploaded firmware doesn't work right either. The Y-axis home button sends the hotbed to the Max end and tries to keep running it far beyond the end of the printer. I have set the Home point to the front right corner and if I start a print job, the X-axis moves to the min stop button but doesn't stop. The Z-axis moves down below the hotbed at the left side.

At this point, I don't know what to do to even get a simple box printed. Any suggestions?

Gingko
Site Admin

Re: Prusa i3 Pro W - Firware issues

Post by Gingko » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi,
The home position is at the endstops of 3 axes.
For Pro W, it's at front left of the bed.

Tog

Post by Tog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:10 pm

The X and Y Home position equates to the location of the X&Y endstop microswitches.
The wires on the microswitches should be connected to the outer lugs.
The connectors from the microswitches should go into the 1st (X) and 3rd (Y) sockets from the edge of the board. The sockets are labelled on the reverse of the board.
You should not need to make any changes for the default settings to work other than, possibly, reloading the ProW firmware.

Apexhunter

Post by Apexhunter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:55 am

I am aware where the home positions are supposed to be, but the hotbed (Y-axis) moves to the opposite end when sent to the home position. The end-stop microswitches have nothing to do with the direction of travel, do they? The only way I was able to correct the problem was in the Merlin firmware. It seems like this printer requires constant adjustments to get even a crappy printout.

The very first print I made turned out pretty nice, but since I've been messing around with the settings and of course everything has gone to hell. I am going to start over with a fresh install of EasyPrint 3d.

Does anyone recommend Cura or Repetier? Cura doesn't have a setting for this printer and doesn't seem to want to work with the Prusa I3 or Prusa I3 Mk2 settings either. Repetier seems to connect and print, but the results look like a woven basket compared to the same print job using EasyPrint3D.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Gingko
Site Admin

Post by Gingko » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Apexhunter wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:55 am
I am aware where the home positions are supposed to be, but the hotbed (Y-axis) moves to the opposite end when sent to the home position. The end-stop microswitches have nothing to do with the direction of travel, do they? The only way I was able to correct the problem was in the Merlin firmware. It seems like this printer requires constant adjustments to get even a crappy printout.

The very first print I made turned out pretty nice, but since I've been messing around with the settings and of course everything has gone to hell. I am going to start over with a fresh install of EasyPrint 3d.

Does anyone recommend Cura or Repetier? Cura doesn't have a setting for this printer and doesn't seem to want to work with the Prusa I3 or Prusa I3 Mk2 settings either. Repetier seems to connect and print, but the results look like a woven basket compared to the same print job using EasyPrint3D.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
There is Cura configuration profile for Pro B in this forum, you can try that for W too, they are just different in frame material.
Do you have pics of your print job of repetier host?

Tog

Post by Tog » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:51 am

Apexhunter wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:55 am
I am aware where the home positions are supposed to be, but the hotbed (Y-axis) moves to the opposite end when sent to the home position. The end-stop microswitches have nothing to do with the direction of travel, do they?
FYI
If the printer thinks that the endstop microswitch has been activated, it will drive the bed in the opposite direction until the endstop microswitch deactivates. If the microswitch is wired incorrectly, the hotbed will continue to drive because the microswitch will never deactivate.
An open circuit or broken microswitch will have the same effect.