How to disable speaker/beep?

Darkmind

How to disable speaker/beep?

Post by Darkmind » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:39 am

Sometimes I may have a problem with nozzle or bed heating, caused by various reasons (mostly my experiments), but the reason is out of scope of the question.

The question is: how do I disable the annoying beep noise which Marlin software produces when it thinks there's a sensor failure?

I understand that this is a form of indication of some important thing, but to me an error message on the screen and in the host software is more than enough. When the printer halts it disables all heating, so it gets into a safe state, which I hardly believe requires such an emergency alarm and immediate attention.

At the same time, the noise is really annoying, it's high pitch, very loud (especially in a small room) and comparing to it a nail scratching a glass sounds like a melody.

Is there any way to disable the beep in this specific situation or (if it's not possible to have this granularity) disable the speaker completely. If not, I guess I'll simply cut its wires - this beeper is a device from hell.

Rodriguez597

Re: How to disable speaker/beep?

Post by Rodriguez597 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:13 pm

Darkmind wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:39 am
Sometimes I may have a problem with nozzle or bed heating, caused by various reasons (mostly my experiments), but the reason is out of scope of the question.

The question is: how do I disable the annoying beep noise which Marlin software produces when it thinks there's a sensor failure?

I understand that this is a form of indication of targetpayandbenefits some important thing, but to me an error message on the screen and in the host software is more than enough. When the printer halts it disables all heating, so it gets into a safe state, which I hardly believe requires such an emergency alarm and immediate attention.

At the same time, the noise is really annoying, it's high pitch, very loud (especially in a small room) and comparing to it a nail scratching a glass sounds like a melody.

Is there any way to disable the beep in this specific situation or (if it's not possible to have this granularity) disable the speaker completely. If not, I guess I'll simply cut its wires - this beeper is a device from hell.
On your mainboard is a small black cylinder. That's the beeper. You can disable the beeper by touching it with a hot soldering iron /s

Darkmind

Post by Darkmind » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:12 am

I believe that on this printer model the beeper is on the LCD/SD card board, not on the main logic board. I can totally get rid of it physically. But I was hoping that it's possible to disable it in the software and may be for one single type of event (the beeper itself can actually be useful when used for good, not to set an unnecessary siren)

Darkmind

Post by Darkmind » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:52 am

Do you really run Windows 10 on your printer's logic board? That's something really new...