Problems with Geeetech prusa i3 pro b extrusion.

jerremyhamston

Problems with Geeetech prusa i3 pro b extrusion.

Post by jerremyhamston » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:47 pm

So a few months back ive got myself a budget 3d printer. I knew the basics of how to use them as we had them back at my old college. we used maker bot printers. ive learnt a hell of a lot over the past months and overcome many problems myself but im stuck with one problem that i cant seem to fix.

i had a lot of success with a lot of prints but all of a sudden my printer started under extruding. ive been using PLA and ABS, both in a controlled environment, (IKEA lack enclosure). I found that the plastic tensioner on the MK8 extruder had cracked. so i ordered an aluminium one. this fixed some of the problems i was having with extruding. but there was still some problems when the prints got 20+ layers high at 0.2 layer height. it was still under extruding. so i changed some settings in slicer for extrusion widths. ive changed heat settings for PLA between 90 and 230. ive cleaned the extruder nozzle and feed holes. ive adjusted spring tension and ive changed the potentiometer on the driver for the extruder stepper motor. everything seems to be working smoother now but the only problem i have is with white PLA ive tried 2 different brands. Geetechs own and some unbranded one. the issue im having with the white PLA is that when using it the stepper motor is jumping back and forth. even on high heat it seams not to be pushing it through but when i feed it by hand it runs through fine. anyone come across a problem like this or am i just missing something so simple? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Download klingeltöne kostenlos
Last edited by jerremyhamston on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonsag

Re: Problems with Geeetech prusa i3 pro b extrusion.

Post by jonsag » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:36 pm

This sounds like a clogged nozzle to me.

I always had that problem when changing filament type, so now I always change nozzle when changing from PLA to PETG or vice versa. Cleaning the nozzle was never successful, so changing to a new one is better.
Also I always check the throat of the extruder whenever I do this. Sometimes there are clogs there too, so new tubing is inserted.

Also I never really had any success with white PLA filament. For some reason this seems more difficult to print. I checked this out at the time, and more people had had this experience.I have no idea why...

/jon

jgbrown54

Re: Problems with Geeetech prusa i3 pro b extrusion.

Post by jgbrown54 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:07 am

I had a somewhat similar issue. It turned out to be the filament itself. It seemed that every few meters there was a bad spot. Every time it screwed up I would stop the printer. By then it was past the bad spot. I would restart the print and a few meters in in would screw up again. Since this was a new reel, I contacted the place I bought it and they agreed that there was an issue with that filament. They sent me a new reel and it worked fine. Remember to keep your filament from absorbing moisture. I keep mine in 1 gallon zip lock bags with a desiccant.