Nightmare printer!

hof

Nightmare printer!

Post by hof » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Did some good research on this and bought it this week. Some questions...

1. Is there a known problem with the extruder gear/motor? It slips even when print head is at or above recommended temperature.
2. After cancelling a print and trying to reprint it from scratch, it starts on the layer it stopped at. Any way to reset this to layer zero?
3. Both nozzles look like they were soldered by a blind man, terrible contacts, one has already stopped working.
4. I have not yet completed a full print. Either the print starts about an inch from the bed, makes a horrible loud noise and needs a reset (is this because I have cancelled a previous print?), or even after levelling the filament lifts from the bed, or the feed is intermittent because the extruder slips.
5. When the print bed moves to the max position it twists slightly, there is a few mm of play sideways in the bed. rollers look fine.
6. Even when pressing the manual filament feed the feed isn't consistent, the gears slip. I can't even force the filament into the print head by hand.. it stops and starts. For 10 mins it'll feed nicely then the feed gear starts slipping.

I've had to do a factory reset about 11 times already. If I didn't just blow £160 on this it would be going straight out of the window!

If I'd wanted a DIY printer that needed a week of setting up and bodging, I'd have bought something else. Was I stupid enough to presume this is a printer that I can print to out of the box without pissing around?

Before I send it back with a terrible review I thought I'd ask for advice here in case I am missing anything?

Thanks.

William
Site Admin

Re: Nightmare printer!

Post by William » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:59 am

Hi, you can provide the product model, video or picture.

1. If you are not using PLA consumables, you can raise the temperature.

2. Reprint can stop printing or restart.

3. If there is a problem with the nozzle, we can replace it for you.

4. The noise may be emitted by the fan, you can provide video.

5. If the hotbed is bent, the glass plate can be replaced.

6. Slippage may also be caused by insufficient temperature.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

hof

Post by hof » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:29 am

Thanks for the reply.

I have upped the temperature to 220C and it's a lot better.
What is the recommended temperature for PLA?

The model is the E180.

At the moment at 220C it seems to be printing OK and not had the loud noise today (it's not the fan!) but if it happens again I'll provide a video.

How would I go about getting a replacement nozzle?

Thanks.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi,We have a matching tool (wrench), first heat the hot end to more than two hundred degrees, and unscrew the nozzle clockwise with a wrench.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

hof

Post by hof » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 pm

I thought I'd reply to my original post because I think it's fair to give my views now that the printer is working.

Over the last couple of months I have printed around 200 components on this 3D printer and overcome some of the initial problems I've had.
Maybe I was too quick to judge this printer being a terrible purchase but that was mainly down to the lack of information that came with the printer that I since learned.

I've used a few types of filament - some left over PLA from a Cube printer, the Geeetech filament and some PLA+ 3rd party filament. ALL need to print at 221C or the nozzle clogs or the filament doesn't feed and scrapes on the feed gears. The PLA+ is crap and leaves lots of stringy mess. I've tried at a lower temperature but needs to be around 220C it seems. If you have problems with filament feeding, IGNORE the recommendation of 200C and go a it higher.

The bed still rattles and isn't aligned properly but it doesn't seem to affect the prints. The blue tape peeling slightly from the print bed does though - it leaves prints with a rounded bottom sometimes. Upgrade to better quality bed tape to fix that. The thicker stuff is better.

The Grinding noise and attempt to print about 30mm from the bed issue I had initially has resolved itself. Maybe this was a problem within the slicer software? No idea but it's stopped doing it!

After every 5 prints or so, the screen display cuts out, comes back on and cuts out again in a cycle. Prints usually still finish but occasionally if they are big they do stop and I've got to reset and restart the print. I posted a video of this and was told to format the SD card... which I do every few prints but it's still happening.

Overall it's a good little printer ONCE you get over the initial failures and problems with it. If you are thinking of buying one - read all of these threads first as they will save you a lot of time and swearing!

Levelling is a pain - I can't get the whole bed at exactly the same level meaning prints are either stuck to the bed like a limpet or too loose and they bend a bit. On't a big problem on larger based prints though,

hof

Post by hof » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:24 pm

OK, now I understand the grinding noise - if you alter the temperature just after it has started to align itself for printing it goes apeshit. I won't do that again and I'll make sure the 1st layer temp is set up in the slicer.

Screen keeps resetting though, even after formatting the SD card. Still prints but beeps and resets the screen every 60 seconds or so. :x