Why did my supply unit fail?

jumpjack

Why did my supply unit fail?

Post by jumpjack » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:41 pm

I successfully printed dozens of pieces for an entire day without any issue; then I switched off the printer.
Next day I switched on the printer... but nothing happened. Printer is dead. If I connect it to PC via USB, display turns on, but motors are not powered.
A quick check revealed that power supply is dead.
A deeper analysis on the power supply revealed this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9cXFBkKu9g

What could have caused such a failure? Replacing the component is quite easy... but if I don't find the cause, it will just blow up again.
it appears to be an NTC 5d-11. What is its purpose?

Before the failure I encountered some problems with Z axis which caused Z motors to get stuck: could a too high current required by the motors have caused this failure?
Last edited by jumpjack on Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Whu did my supply unit fail?

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Hello.
:mrgreen:

If your printer is new manage to replace the power supply with a working one.

The thermistor in the power circuit is a kind of fuse. Let's say it is designed to allow a smooth start.
I think you're being very reasonable about the problem.
It has to be said that in a certain period the manufacturer used very cheap power supply constructions. It caused many problems.

You can replace a broken thermistor with an identical one, or buy a good quality power supply.

Your problems with Z-axis drives rather did not affect the failure that occurred. ;)
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.