How “Service Animal” Is Defined

robertopupka

Post by robertopupka » Sun May 15, 2022 7:44 pm

carlosbenini11

Re: How “Service Animal” Is Defined

Post by carlosbenini11 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:46 pm

Emotional support dogs are not "service animals" under the ADA, but are listed under the category of "assistance animals" (which is a broader description of a "service animal"). However, some states define service animals more broadly, but this information should be verified with the prosecutor's office of the relevant state. Thanks to Register My Service Animal, service animals can follow you wherever people are allowed to go. For example, it is appropriate to have a service animal with you in hospital areas such as exam rooms, patient rooms, cafeterias, etc., but not in areas that require a sterile environment (operating rooms or delivery rooms).

mellstroy1122

Re: How “Service Animal” Is Defined

Post by mellstroy1122 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:47 pm

Good article. The coordination with the vets and flight here is a lot. It’s not easy but doable. I did it with 2 dogs. And yes, it’s stringent for a reason. Not sure why some think it’s like transporting clothes. But, I wouldn’t transport pets here again. The culture here doesn’t understand a leash, or spaying/neutering. And the vets here are far less knowledgeable than back home. Live and learn.