Recent Issue with Fans in MeCreator 2

DaviDokuro

Recent Issue with Fans in MeCreator 2

Post by DaviDokuro » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm

I am having an incredibly strange issue with my printer fans on my MeCreator 2. I'll try to detail it all here as best as I can. A quick summary is none of the fans on the printer are spinning, not just the part cooling fan, but also the board cooling fan and the heatbreak fan.

The issue started recently. All the fans worked properly just a few days ago. I've had this printer for over a year and have not seen this issue at any point in time during that. Yesterday, the fans managed to spin and I was very excited. I thought the issue might have been temporary, so I tried turning on the part cooling fan. As soon as I sent the command (M106), all of the fans turned off again. This is not good, the board needs cooling, the heatbreak needs cooling, and the part needs cooling. All 3 of them are off no matter what I do.

I tried updating the firmware to see if that would help. I was on 1.0.3 and updated to 1.0.4, it did not help. The fans still don't work. I investigated the board to see if there were any burnt traces or signs of a short, nothing there either. Everything looks the same as when I got it. Even if the board were damaged, it would not explain why the fans spun up yesterday.

The final nail in my coffin was when I powered off the printer. I had to toss my hands up in the air at this point and resolve to contact support. When I power the printer off, the fan spins briefly as the printer powers off. This behavior is completely inexplicable to me. I have no idea how this could happen. Powering the printer back on, the fans don't even budge, as if the printer doesn't try to spin them, but when powering the printer off they do.

I am at a complete loss. I don't know what to do. The printer is not safe for use in it's current state and can not produce reliable prints.

If I leave the printer alone for several hours, the fans eventually spin up, but if I try to print, they eventually turn off again. Could this be a broken capacitor? How would I identify and resolve such a problem? Any help is appreciated, I've been struggling with this for a week now.

DaviDokuro

Re: Recent Issue with Fans in MeCreator 2

Post by DaviDokuro » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:53 am

I was able to run a print with the part cooling fan completely disconnected. The heatbreak fan and board cooling fan stayed on for the whole print. When i tried the same print again with the part cooling fan plugged back in, all 3 fans turned off again. The issue must have something to do with the part cooling fan somehow, but how can it be shutting the other two fans down?