How to remove item from base plate

ezidenberg

How to remove item from base plate

Post by ezidenberg » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:57 am

We just purchased the A20M and are finding it very difficult to remove items after they are printed. They stick to the base plate. Any suggestions?

Sodium100mg

Re: How to remove item from base plate

Post by Sodium100mg » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:23 am

There are several approaches.

You see a lot of videos where people use binder clips to hold the flexible base pad on, so they can remove the pad and flex it and the piece will pop off.

Letting the pad cool can help break the sticking.

With the flexible pad, a glue stick can be used to give a softer layer to break the adhesion at.

I use a glass sheet on top of the aluminum. I have my glass (semi) permanently attacked with screen printing platen spray. With glass you get the opposite problem of not sticking. Hair spray or glue sticks can be use to give the plastic something to bind onto. There is a fine line between binging and sticking. I (carefully) use a razor scraper. Razor scrapers are great on glass, but deadly to the soft pad.

Glass can be easier to separate with the bed warm.

The slicer program also has special options for the first layer, like a raft. The raft can have just a 50% contact with the bed, making it twice as easy to separate.

Hair spray and glue sticks are water soluble, so rubbing alcohol can be used to release the print. Water is also all it takes to clean the bed.

ezidenberg

Post by ezidenberg » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:33 pm

Thank you so much. I'll give some of those a try.
I'm assuming it is ok to peel the flexible plate up from the aluminum? I haven't tried that since we first assembled the system as it seems to be adhered pretty well.

Sodium100mg

Post by Sodium100mg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:38 am

I had no problem removing the pad from the aluminum. It just peeled right off.

StarLog

Post by StarLog » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:18 am

The pad does come off, but the model on top is like keeping it from removing from the aluminum.

StarLog

Post by StarLog » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:00 pm

So put the glue stick or hair spray on the metal bed, between the mylar. or put it on top of the mylar.?

connieschofield

Post by connieschofield » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:31 am

Let the pad cool can help break the sticking. A glue stick can also be used to give a softer layer to break the adhesion at.

toddwhite

Post by toddwhite » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:28 pm

Great discussion, thanks!