3d-touch pin falls during printing

JustinSB

3d-touch pin falls during printing

Post by JustinSB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi, I know that this problem has been covered somewhere here in the forums, but I have gone backwards & forwards through the vast number of pages of 3D-Touch problems, & I just can't find it. Basically, my 3d-touch pin falls down during printing. The magnetic coil inside it is just on the edge of holding it up, & after it has dropped, occasionally it will jump back up again - then after a few more seconds it will drop again. Amazingly, apart from this little problem, I have actually got my 3D-Touch working properly, & doing exactly what it should on the bed-levelling front...

As always, all advice greatly appreciated.

Re: 3d-touch pin falls during printing

Post by 1138 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:47 am

[quote=JustinSB post_id=82609 time=1518601609 user_id=62140]
Hi, I know that this problem has been covered somewhere here in the forums, but I have gone backwards & forwards through the vast number of pages of 3D-Touch problems, & I just can't find it. Basically, my 3d-touch pin falls down during printing. The magnetic coil inside it is just on the edge of holding it up, & after it has dropped, occasionally it will jump back up again - then after a few more seconds it will drop again. Amazingly, apart from this little problem, I have actually got my 3D-Touch working properly, & doing exactly what it should on the bed-levelling front...

As always, all advice greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Sounds like the sensor is reseting/restarting. Is it the same sequence that happens when you power up the printer? If so, you should check the connector of the servo. I found mine to be quite loose, and it produced the same effect.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Yes, I have encountered a similar issue, I check the wiring and found to be due to the extension cable poor contact
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

molekuul

Post by molekuul » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi,

I had the same problem, it seem the solenoid isn't strong enough to hold the pin during shaking os the head. You can try to adjust the top screw in the sensor, but it didn't help me.
I bought the original BL Touch sensor. With the same cabling, this sensor doesn't drop the pin.

Goodluck.

Joris

JustinSB

Post by JustinSB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:46 am

It was due to the grub screw coming loose.

In the end, I took it out, wrapped some PTFE thread sealing tape around it & screwed it back in again. This has currently fixed it.

JustinSB

Post by JustinSB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:32 am

I was wrong. It started to fall again, as soon as I tried to print for longer than a minute or two.

The extension cables are standard dupont ones - although I personally didn't make them, so I can't actually guarantee them (but they worked fine as GPIO extension cables). Is it worth my while to cut out the dupont connections mid wire & just solder the heat-shrink the cables? If I do that, I will actually replace the cable itself with my own wire, crimp my own dupont female connectors onto the ends & then I can guarantee that the connections will be OK.

Just a question, but what do I do if I solder all of the mid wire connectors, replace the end of wire dupont connectors, plug it all back in - & the pin still drops as soon as I start to print?

JustinSB

Post by JustinSB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:37 am

Hi 1138, I don't think that the sensor is resetting/restarting because teh red LED light in it doesn't go out whilst it happens. If I slip a bit of paper under the pin & lift it a little, it will stick "up" for a while, then fall back down again - but this won't register an error, the red LED light won't go off & nothing will show up in the console. It doesn't appear to notice that it's dropped...

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi,JustinSB
I want to feed this back to Geeetech's engineers
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

JustinSB

Post by JustinSB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:14 am

I have replaced my extension cables with a set that I made myself. They use 24 AWG wire, bought from a trusted local supplier, so I know that they are good for the +5v needed to power the solenoid. OK, they still have Dupont connectors on them, but I wasn't willing to cut wire & solder stuff today - but I was super careful when I was crimping everything & the wires are ones that I am happy with.

THE PIN STILL DROPS AFTER A SHORT WHILE OF PRINTING.

CHANGING THE WIRES MADE NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL.

THIS IS NOT A WIRE OR CONNECTION ISSUE...

William, Thank You, please let the Geeetech engineers know that (at least some of) the 3D-Touch sensors appear to have a hardware problem. From the forums, alas I don't appear to be the first to have this problem. People appear to have been giving up with their Geeetech 3D-Touch sensors, & buying an original BL Touch - which just works, exactly as it's supposed to. I've seen them on Amazon for £37, & you wouldn't believe how tempting it was as I've been fighting my Geeetech 3d-Touch every day since it arrived on February 1st, & that was 18 days ago.

JustinSB

Post by JustinSB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:09 pm

I hope that the 8th day of the New year brings me luck in fixing these problems, as I expect that the Geeetech Engineers will return to work then (February 23, 2018). Best wishes, & I hope that the Year of the Dog brings us all happy 3D printing.