Print head movement is erratic

Artdezign

Print head movement is erratic

Post by Artdezign » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Model: Rostock 301

I have calibrated my printer many times, and am able to job the print head anywhere on the print plate. But when I send a print to the printer, it is on track at first and then start jumping off track acting erratically. Even though the machine is registering Z0.38 the print head tends to rise towards the Y axis. It also jumps and shakes, as you will see in this video:
https://youtu.be/FdbK99wvkCE

I suspect it has something to do with the belt tension, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Ideas?

William
Site Admin

Re: Print head movement is erratic

Post by William » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi,it seems the belt tension need to be calibrated again.BTW,you can check this post:http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 22&t=18494.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Artdezign

Post by Artdezign » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:16 am

Belt tension is the number one suspect for this problem, but I've tried several different tensions with the same result. (too tight creates jumps, as well as too loose. Cannot find a sweet spot). I don't have any documentation that describes calibrating the belt tension, and the post you referred to have a lot of good advice, but doesn't mention belt tension either.

Should I get a tension measurement tool, and work with the calibration using exact numbers? Or should I buy the belt tension springs available online? What method do you use to calibrate your belts?

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 am

Hi,
I calibrate my belts by tighting the screw on the top plate until I feel it's ok.In your case,you can try to buy the belt tension springs to make it work.
What'more,I think another reason is the bad leveling of the nozzle and hot bed.So try to level it again with the Leveling Guide.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Ernie

Post by Ernie » Sun May 21, 2017 11:51 pm

I had the same problem. I thought it was belt tension at first, but I took it apart and found that none of the linear bearings would turn or slide smoothly along the entire length of one particular smooth rod. I am now suspecting that this rod was slightly out of round the whole time.

The rod is both chamfered and threaded on the ends so I can't seem to find them on the internet, so I emailed customer service for help sourcing a replacement.