Extruder slips on filament

Slacker

Extruder slips on filament

Post by Slacker » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:58 pm

I have a Prusa i3 M201, and both extruders slip intermittently on the filament. I can see the motor is turning, and if i hand feed the filament its quite easy to push through the hot end. There's no tension adjustment from the spring on the extruders that come with the M201. How do i fix this? Can you send stiffer springs?

William
Site Admin

Re: Extruder slips on filament

Post by William » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:36 am

Try fixing it as the picture shows:
QQ截图20161208113446.png
QQ截图20161208113446.png (434.14 KiB) Viewed 16677 times
And about the spring,you can contact the seller to talk about it.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

idom

Post by idom » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:59 am

I tried extending a bit the spring on the extruders, but from the hot end it just doesn't comes out uniformly, no print has been successful after many months trying. :|

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:47 am

I ended up putting some screws through the spring sideways to force the some of the coils apart, which increases spring tension overall. Its an ugly hack, but good enough to work ok in the short term at least.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:49 am

Oh and dont forget to calibrate the voltage. As shipped, they're around half what they need to be.

Kb2sdrjay

Post by Kb2sdrjay » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 am

I would purchase a new tensioner, the spring that comes with it does put enough force. You could try taking it out and stretching it some. I bought a plastic one on ebay and as soon as I replaced it, I was printing very good print. They also sell metal as well.

Soadyheid

Post by Soadyheid » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:30 am

The spring I was supplied with was too strong, it was causing the extruder stepper motor to stall (the clicking sound you get) I increased the Ref voltage to 1.6volts but this means that the motor windings are pulling 2 Amps which is a bit much in my estimation. The prints were better but the motor still stalled occasionally. .75 Volts gives about 1 Amp and I'm currently set to 1.2 Volts which I think is 1.5 Amps. I may need to revisit this.

I found a lighter spring which was 2.5cm long like the original and stretched it to 3cm. Seems to be working better, there's no stalling anymore. The original was acting like a brake. Too much pressure - stalling, too little - no feed or the toothed feed gear chews the filament.
I've ordered the aluminium feed kit anyway as this at least allows for finer spring pressure adjustment and, according to quite a few posts, may well fix the problem.
I've only had the printer for a couple of weeks and am not expecting miracles as there's a pretty steep learning curve involved in the fine tuning. So far, I feel I'm progressing! :P

Play Bonny!

23rd April
I've just fitted the aluminium extruder feeder and adjusting the spring tension is now a doddle. Tighten it up till the motor stalls (clicks) then back it off half a turn and all should be well.
My other quality problems were due to my filament settings in Slic3r being for a 0.4mm nozzle instead of the 0.3mm one I have fitted (I never noticed - Oops!)
The other disaster was having the print knocked of the build platen by the nozzle when about an hour into the print. Very frustrating! Using Pritt glue stick on the glass seems to have cured this. Prints now looking pretty good! :D

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid
Last edited by Soadyheid on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kb2sdrjay

Post by Kb2sdrjay » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:25 am

Glad you got it figured out. Seems that QA is hit or miss. Took me a few weeks get it tuned up. Ran good for about a month and then the Z axis wobble got pretty severe. Replaced the Lead screws with ones from foldger tech. They are straight as an arrow and now the printer is back to printing very good. I would suggest you take a look at these settings. They will get you going pretty quick. https://georgeroblesjr.wordpress.com/20 ... -i3-pro-b/