Z axis linear bearings

daveapplemotors

Z axis linear bearings

Post by daveapplemotors » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:48 pm

RE: Geeetech Prusa i3 A pro

Today I cannot get repeatable Z-axis homing. NO ABL yet--just the standard Z=axis endstop. My Z-axis steppers don't remain synched. I have been getting a lot of good prints with this machine since September. Many many hours (days) of good printing until today.

The problem appears to be a linear bearing. Since I have the Z-axis mod ( http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17643) the entire X-axis rods and carriage 'float' on top of the Z-axis nuts. I can lift the entire assembly by hand and hear clicking from the left hand bearing.

New bearings are 2 or 3 weeks away in China even if I pay $29.95 freight from an outside supplier because they are not listed in Geeetech's catalogue. LMH8LUU

I hope that is the only problem with my Z-axis homing.

Has anyone else run into this? Can they get here faster? They cost only $6 each so $29.95 freight seems absurd.

finchalex

Re: Z axis linear bearings

Post by finchalex » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 pm

Hi!
Yes it is!
I also have the acrylic version and this solution isolates the entire structure from wobble. In my case the threaded rods was really bad so I replaced them with straight ones from a local HW-store.

Make sure you enlarge the hole on the top plate to allow the threaded rods to move back and forth.

It is very difficult to mount the threaded rods to center with the couplings, this adds upp to some wobble as well.

All in all - this solution solves it.

holola

Re: Z axis linear bearings

Post by holola » Tue May 11, 2021 5:26 pm

But why common faulty problems occur in the Z-axis, what is the explanation for the smooth and slitherio functioning of the other two axes.