Prusa i3-X heated bed cannot maintain ABS temperatures

bluemike807

Prusa i3-X heated bed cannot maintain ABS temperatures

Post by bluemike807 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:41 am

Heating bed cannot reach above ~100c. Have to heavily insulate it to even reach ABS-practical temperatures, and its a huge pain. Have been printing in PLA successfully for a while.

This machine is advertised as being able to handle a wider than average range of filaments, but cannot even reach the necessary temperatures for ABS - much less stay at those temperatures once printing commences.

Is there any way I can boost power to the heated bed? It's aluminum and I have been using extra-grip hair spray. But still have warping issued whenever I print in ABS

bluemike807

Re: Prusa i3-X heated bed cannot maintain ABS temperatures

Post by bluemike807 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:02 am

An update so others can benefit:

Ended up needing to insulate the heated bed. To do this, I used insulating tape - the sort that are used for hot water pipes and HVAC ducts. Make sure you get the kind that can take the temperatures involved.

Then I applied this in adjacent strips on the underside of the heated bed - two layers, with the second layer perpendicular to the first.

Now it works much better and can maintain ABS-grade temperatures without insulation on top. That said, it's a bummer that its necessary to McGyver-fix this printer just so it can do what it advertises it should out of the box.

sniper1212

Post by sniper1212 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:29 pm

I have exactly the same problem. To heat the heatbed to 90°C i need 42 Minutes and no chance to get to 100°C. I find out that the heatbed gets only 10,7V instead of 12V. Is this normal??? The heatbed has with cables 1,5 Ohms...

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi,
See if this post would help you:
http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 163#p29163
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!