Newbie Question!!!

JADugar

Newbie Question!!!

Post by JADugar » Sat May 30, 2020 6:40 am

I am as dumb as they come when it comes to this technology. I have had my A10M maybe a week so forgive me.

Printing from the card is one thing. I read that it is easier to print straight from the computer. So getting the software and drivers is no big deal. However, since I haven't done it yet, it has made me wonder. I take it that the computer is sending code to the printer. Is this just g-code or is it a different format?

Thanks

Soadyheid

Re: Newbie Question!!!

Post by Soadyheid » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:04 am

Yup! It's G-Code. That's how I use my i3 Pro B. I'm using a Linux Mint 18.3 system, The printer is connected via a USB cable. With the printer powered up and Repetier-Host Running (I'm using version 2.1.6 now) hitting the connect button at the top left connected me to /dev/ttyUSB0, no faffing around with drivers or anything, I've no idea what Windows and Mac hoops you have to jump through but there seem to be quite a lot of posts indicating driver and port set-up stuff within the forums here. There's a little bit of setting up to do to match your printer; XYZ print limits, max temperatures, etc.

I find the controls within Repetier a lot easier to use than those from the printer's control panel plus you get a display of where the printer is as it builds up the print. You also get a useful temperature curve graph which has helped me in the past in diagnosing thermistor problems.

With the printer connected, hit the "Load" button and navigate to where your .gcode print is stored on your PC and select it, the final print will be displayed in the drawing area. Select manual control and enable the bed and hot end heaters, then hit "Start", once the bed and hot end temperatures hit their preset targets, the print will start. The log at the bottom of Repetier's display will show what layer is being printed.

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid.