M301 not working with Mac Repetier-Host

Veenoh

M301 not working with Mac Repetier-Host

Post by Veenoh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:22 am

Has anyone gotten the M301 working with the Mac version of Repetier-Host? I have the Delta cylindrical shape but Repetier-Host seems to be treating it as an x-y. For instance, it controls each motor (x-y-z) separately for homing which jams things up.

Alternatively, Octoprint would be fine but it has the same problems. Any other Mac controller software to suggest? Thanks.

--Dave

William
Site Admin

Re: M301 not working with Mac Repetier-Host

Post by William » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:52 am

Hi,Dave
Did you download the latest version for Mac?
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Veenoh

Post by Veenoh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:02 pm

Yes, 1.0.2 which I've been using successfully for a long time with my other printer. It's been behind the 1.6.2 Windows version for a while now.

BTW, I tried Cura which also did not work. It doesn't have many control functions anyway.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:56 pm

Sounds like impossible... :roll:
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Veenoh

Post by Veenoh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Solved! :D

The Windows and Mac version of Repetier send slightly different homing commands. While the Mac version sends G28 X0 Y0 Z0, the Windows version only sends G28. Apparently the firmware provides an unnecessary function to home the individual towers and this causes big problems in a delta printer, especially at low heights which crashes the head into a tower. Even when the homing works at higher heights the printer is returning the tower heights (300mm) as the coordinates which completely messes up subsequent operations in Repetier and made it look like nothing was working.

The solution could be implemented in either place. The firmware could ignore the XYZ flags or Repetier could send just G28 without the flags as it does in the Windows version. I think Repetier server has the same issue.

For now, the workaround is for me to only home the printer with its LCD controller. It's a minor nuisance but not anywhere near as bad as having to run Parallels every time I need to print.

Edit: A better workaround is to send the G28 homing command from the host program, especially making use of whatever scripting feature is included.