Z axis homing direction moves AWAY from endstop

x_Carlos_Danger_x

Z axis homing direction moves AWAY from endstop

Post by x_Carlos_Danger_x » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:28 am

Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro W - Marlin 1.0.03 from this forum

Well I wanted to upgrade my dads wooden frame printer to aluminum extrusion frame since the wood was warping. Have everything print/printed and now something is not right with the firmware. My only modification to the printer was to move the z axis motors to the top of the frame to give me a little more room below. I figured I would just need to reverse the Z-axis direction and it would be fine.... printer was printing fine before.

I opened the config file and stock settings and INVERT_Z_Dir was false. Set that to true thinking this would just reverse directions. (Motors are top mounted, but z axis endstop is still at the base). After installing with the value set as true the z axis does move in the correct direction, G0 Z5 raises it 5mm above bed, but when I home the z-axis, the carriage moves upward not downward towards the endstop!! Both the x and y are fine. Moving them +5mm moves the carriage OPPOSITE of the homing direction which seems correct. For some reason +5mm in the z direction moves the carriage in the SAME direction (upward) as the homing direction.

I have read through as many posts as I can find and none have worked.

TLDR; after placing my z axis motors on top and leaving the endstop next to the bed and setting invert_Z-dir to true, my homing direction loves the same direction as raising the z axis by 5mm. Homing should lower not raise. Any advice? :( turning into a crappy surprise for my dads printer even if I base mounted the motors like before the homing direction is still wrong.

William
Site Admin

Re: Z axis homing direction moves AWAY from endstop

Post by William » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:13 am

Hi, You can check if your z-axis limit switch wiring connection is correct.
Then enter M119 in the manual control of the Repetier Host to check the limit switch.
For details, please refer to this: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=60927
I hope this can help you.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

x_Carlos_Danger_x

Post by x_Carlos_Danger_x » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! Things I left out, board is a Gt2560, printer came with 1.0.04 but I can only find 1.0.03 on here. Printer has printed a whole roll just fine before upgrading firmware.

So I did switch the limit switch on the z and x axis and the x axis homed fine so I know the limit switch is good. I manually depressed all limit switches and sent M119 and console showed all were triggered :/

What confuses me the most is that the direction of movement when homing (G28 Z) is towards positive when it should be moving towards zero. All other axis are fine and invert_axis-dir works fine with them. I’m am really at a loss for what is happening :(

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi, Can you provide specific videos and pictures?
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

x_Carlos_Danger_x

Post by x_Carlos_Danger_x » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:48 pm

Yep I can when I get home from work. It’s a bit confusing to explain via text.

x_Carlos_Danger_x

Post by x_Carlos_Danger_x » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:48 am

so for images I’ll just post to imgur and put the link in here in a little bit what’s the best way for video? :o very noob question I know lol...

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Hello.
:mrgreen:

Proceed in the same way as with the pictures.
;)
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.