Z axis height DELTA_RADIUS has no effect (G2S pro)

martinengstrom

Z axis height DELTA_RADIUS has no effect (G2S pro)

Post by martinengstrom » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:12 pm

After several attempts of following the calibration steps in http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/images/4/4 ... Manual.pdf to great detail (also watched the video I realize I need help.

For the life of me, I can't get the DELTA_RADIUS to take effect! (Step: 6 - Reconfirm the Z axis height in referenced guide).
This is what I do:
  • I follow the end-stop adjustment procedure (spring-adjustment-screws) so that all three reference points are almos touching at Z=0, i. e. pass the paper test
  • Now, I move to the middle (script 1) and move the nozzle down to the paper test level. It is now at Z=1.3 mm.
  • According to the guide, this means that my bed is convex (dome shaped) which is odd by itself on my 3mm glass pane. The guide instructs to reduce the delta value at the end of the DELTA_RADIUS define statement and I do as instructed.
  • I upload, home and try Z in the middle again. Still Z=1.3mm!
  • I reduce some more and try again. Still Z=1.3mm. I even try -10 at the end to see if I can get any reaction. Nothing! Z=1.3 every time.
Please help!

I am using Merlin 1.0.3 (Geeetech G2S metal version)

I have turned eeprom and auto leveling off in config.h

Mark

Re: Z axis height DELTA_RADIUS has no effect (G2S pro)

Post by Mark » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:27 pm

don't change the other settings and just download the original firmware here, change the delta radius to see if it works:
http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17046

martinengstrom

Post by martinengstrom » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Mark wrote:don't change the other settings and just download the original firmware here, change the delta radius to see if it works:
http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17046
What other settings do you mean not to change? Should I just go plain vanilla everything (no calibration at all) and only mod DELTA_RADIUS just to see if there is any effect?

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:45 pm

uh, you can mod the Z axis height and probe Z height, that would be all I think.

martinengstrom

Post by martinengstrom » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:15 am

Ok Mark, I downloaded the version you pointed to (Marlin 1.0.3 dev / For metal G2 pro/G2S pro: http://www.geeetech.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1559)

Then I calibrate MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS to paper test level. This is the only other setting I touch.

I change the offset from 1 to 0, then to 10, then to 100 like so:

Code: Select all

#define DELTA_RADIUS (DELTA_SMOOTH_ROD_OFFSET-DELTA_EFFECTOR_OFFSET-DELTA_CARRIAGE_OFFSET+100)
There is no effect at all! Z=0 puts the nozzle on the same-height over the bed every time, in complete disregard of my DELTA_RADIUS. I have tried it using Arduino IDE 1.0.1 and also 1.6.5.

I am getting very frustrated with the calibration of this machine!

martinengstrom

Post by martinengstrom » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:34 pm

I managed to get the DELTA_RADIUS tuned in eventually.I thought the setting would have some effect immediately after changing/flashing setting. I misinterpreted how the setting would take effect.

This the process I found to work:
  • follow the guide to see if you should add or decrease the delta (i. e. zero the towers, then go back to the middle and see if you have a hovering tip or touching. I found that even very small changes to the adjustment screws had significant impact.
  • If the tip is hovering, add 1 to the delta radius (or touching. -1). I'm not sure what the unit is but it is not mm, anyway.
  • comile, upload...
  • Go through zero the towers again: button 2, 3, 4, adjustment screws, 2,3,4, adjustment screws...
  • Check the middle again. go back to adding or subtracting to DELTA_RADIUS, adjust screws, etc all over again. Use smaller value increments/decrements as you get closer (0.5, 0.2)
  • Repeat the process as many times as needed. I probably had go through about eight iterations to get it right. It took a full evening.

Kristian600

Post by Kristian600 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi Guys just same problem I spent 3 hours on setup DELTA_RADIUS whatever value I change it has no effect...

3DSarge

Post by 3DSarge » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:26 am

I thought the adjustments were having no effect too, but just entering differences of 1 or 2 wasn't enough (in my case). I ended up adding 24 and then reducing it down to 20 to get mine right - a convex sweep of about 3mm. I found the best thing to do is note the numbers very accurately each time. Don't just assume that e.g. pass 1 gives 2.35 and pass 2 gives 2.37 is just a small error, it may be a small change. I found 1 radius unit worked out at around 0.15 mm Z difference.
You are more likely to spot the difference if doing it methodically ( I wasn't).