Newly updated Firmware V1.0.5 for Prusa I3 M201

Mark

Newly updated Firmware V1.0.5 for Prusa I3 M201

Post by Mark » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Prusa I3 M201 Firmware 1.0.5.

The new Prusa I3 M201 bi-color 3D printer launched by Geeetech uses GTM32 motherboard and modified firmware, supporting blending color and gradient color printing.
In last version of firmware, users can custom blending printing effect. However, if users want to get gradient color effect, they can only choose from the 8 kinds of fixed templates which are preset in the firmware. In order to achieve more kinds of printing effects and more gradient styles, we add a practical feature to Firmware so that users can customize gradient template. Thus we can set different gradient color effects according to the design need for different models.
In addition, in the previous firmware, there are occasional long pause problems during printing. This will cause the fused plastic piled up at one place, which will affect the appearance of printed part or even ruin the whole object. Therefore, we repaired the bug in version firmware1.0.4, and the printing quality will be greatly improvement.

Download the firmware here:
http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17046
You can refer to this link to install the firmware:
http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 162#p28162

Ⅰ. Version Upgrade: Firmware 1.0.5
Newly supported G-code commands:
M92: Set axis_steps_per_unit
M110: Set Current Line Number M500
M502: Revert to the default "factory settings."
M300: Play beep sound
M304: Set PID parameters - Bed

For detailed info:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Gcode#M92:_Set_a ... s_per_unit

The old version:
Upgrade of Firmware 1.0.4
1. Improving the accuracy of Home to make the homing position more accurate. The original location of Z-axis occasionally bounces when using the Home function in the previous firmware, and this can result in failure in printing the first layer.
2. Solving the problem of occasional pause in serial port printing. We still receive bug reports of pause problem from users of previous firmware. This time the serial port communication codes are upgraded and optimized, and pause problem doesn’t appear during the tests.
3. Optimizing the execution efficiency of some codes to improve the response speed of the printer.
4. Correcting the execution sequence when using T order to switch tools to enable it to respond in the correct position in the Gcode.
5. Change the steps/mm format from integer to float number, so we can set a more precise value for the steps, such as set X steps to 80.5 as the old firmware can only set to 80 or 81.

Upgrade of Firmware 1.0.3
1.1New added feature
1. Customizable gradient templates. Users can set custom parameters of Start Gradient Percent, End Gradient Percent, Start Height, and End Height.
2. During the printing process, as long as the actual temperature reaches the point which is 5℃ lower than the preset temperature, the printer will start printing. It can not only ensure the printing temperature but also reduce the waiting time of printing.
3.New added Command of M106 and M107.
Command M106 is to control a specific fan, such as
M106 P1 S127
Which means to set the speed of Fan 1 as 127, P is the code name of fan.
If you omit the P1, system will control the P0(FAN0) as default.

Command M107 is to turn off a specific fan, such as :
M107 P1
Which means to turn off the Fan1, If you omit the P1, system will turn off the P0(FAN0) as default.

1.2 Bug Repair
1. Modification of the default value of steps per mm. More accurate printing dimension and improved printing quality.
2. The maximum temperature of the hotbed is limited to 110℃, which is more adaptable for printing with ABS material.
3. Solving the occasional long pause problem during the printing process. Long pause during the printing process will result in the printed part melted by the hot head and forming a defective appearance. Meanwhile the raised filament may cause movement dislocation of the extruder and result in the complete failure of printing in the end.
4. The bug for SD card stand-alone printing is fixed. The last version 1.0.0 can not print from SD card, this version V1.0.1 fixed this bug, have already tested it and got good results.
5.The problem of garbled code and blank screen of LCD is solved. This is the bug in V1.0.0 and now is fixed.

Ⅱ. How to custom gradient template
Custom template allows user to set the parameters of gradient color printing. It provides six customizable templates for user to set and they are named as Custom1 to Custom6. User can set under the Mixer >Custom menu. Each template includes parameters of Start Gradient Percent, End Gradient Percent, Start Height, and End Height. perform a Store Memory to Save it when the setting is done.
Next i will show you how to set and use a customized template.

2.1 Parameters Setting Instructions:
1. All the settings are set based on Filament0 by default.
2. According to the work principle of Mixer, the sum feeding rate of Filament0 and Filament1 is 100%. After Filament0 is set, the system will automatically calculate the corresponding feeding rate of Filament1.
3. Start percent and end percent can be set at will. The sum of them is not always 100%. Users can adjust it according to their requirements.
E.g., you can set the start percent of Filament0 as 30% and the end percent 60%.
111.jpg
111.jpg (55.25 KiB) Viewed 61915 times
4. Start height and end height are print heights above the bed not the current printing height. Start height and end height must be greater than current printing height, otherwise they will be regarded as invalid. For example, current height is 40mm above the bed, but the start height in the template setting is 20mm and the end height is 30mm. It has overlapped part with current print height, so the system will automatically ignore this template and continue printing with the current template.
5. When one templates is finished, printing will continue with the feed rate percent that is fixed, without gradient effect, until you choose a new template.

2.2 Custom Template Setting
1 Open Mixer->Custom on LCD control panel:
222.jpg
222.jpg (115.15 KiB) Viewed 61915 times
333.jpg
333.jpg (113.17 KiB) Viewed 61915 times
Let’s take custom 1 as example.
444.jpg
444.jpg (111.16 KiB) Viewed 61915 times

Here we set custom 1 conf as follows:
Start Percent: 30%
End Percent: 60%
Start Height: 0mm
End Height: 30mm
555.jpg
555.jpg (111.48 KiB) Viewed 61915 times
When the setting is done, please press Store memory to save it:
666.jpg
666.jpg (112.82 KiB) Viewed 61915 times
Similarly you can set other custom templates, for example, custom 2:
Start Percent: 60%
End Percent: 20%
Start Height: 30mm
End Height: 60mm
(note, there is no overlapped height)
777.jpg
777.jpg (110.55 KiB) Viewed 61915 times

The templates which have been set can be found in Mixer->Templates.
You can change setting parameters at any time during the printing process. When the setting is done, you can start printing. Select the corresponding template in Mixer-> Templates during the printing process.
888.jpg
888.jpg (112.87 KiB) Viewed 61915 times
Note: the“*” after the template means the current template you are choosing and using. System will follow your last chosen operation by default.

Ⅲ. Printing Effect Demonstration
The following picture shows the printing effect after the combination of Custom1 and Custom2.
Filament 0: red;
Filament 1: yellow
999.jpg
999.jpg (209.59 KiB) Viewed 61915 times
Thanks!

Simbo989

Re: Newly updated Firmware V1.0.0 for Prusa I3 M201

Post by Simbo989 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Thank you, I look forward to updating the printer.

Did you manage to solve the problem of the printer randomly printing layers after the first few layers?

Happy Christmas everybody.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:00 pm

do you mean shifting layers? have you checked the voltage of the drivers? you can check this link:
http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=17038

Simbo989

Post by Simbo989 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeah, checked everything.. Slic3r started shifting layers when the printer started to freeze but any other slicer programs the printer deposits it's first layer then it literally goes crazy.. Layers are deposited everywhere, i think it's a firmware issue. I don't know how popular or how much support the m201 firmware has, it might be cured by simply uploading the new firmware.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:31 pm

the firmware used in my M201 is working well, I don't think this is a firmware problem, maybe missed something else..

Simbo989

Post by Simbo989 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm visiting family so I haven't had a chance to update the firmware to the new version. I'm hoping it gets rid of allall the bugs I've been noticing, if not I'll upload a video so you can see exactly what I mean.

Thank you for your quick response.

certeza

Post by certeza » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:59 am

Hmm, has anything been changed for the sd card?

After the update printing from sd card doesn't work anymore.
It starts and then it stops.
And when I give the command "Stop print" then it hangs on the message "Print stopping..."

Printing via usb works.

certeza

Post by certeza » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:18 am

Here are some screenshots of issues with the new firmware:

Cannot print from sd card.
Printer starts reading and stops, but stays in printing mode.
When you try to stop printing it hangs on message 'Print stopping...':

When you print with PC via usb, this is what the lcd screen shows:
This garbage text keeps scrolling.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:13 am

Sorry we have run into the same problems, we'll fix it asap. But you still can use this firmware to print via USB, Sd card is not working. Those garbage text will not affect the print job, you can still access to the other menus too. We'll upload the old firmware here if you want to use it, and update the new firmware in about next week.

Mark

Re: Newly updated Firmware V1.0.1 for Prusa I3 M201

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:25 pm

The firmware for M201, V1.0.1 is updated, please check this thread again for more details and download it in the link above, tks!