[HowTo] Upload your 3d Printer Firmware in Linux

4lynne

Re: [HowTo] Upload your 3d Printer Firmware in Linux

Post by 4lynne » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:17 am

I dumped windows as a way to access Arduino IDE as I have Ubuntu 15.04 connecting via /Dev/ttyUSB0
Repetier-Host and Slic3r plus Arduino IDE conect now via the /dev/ttyUSB0 connection
Last edited by 4lynne on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4lynne

Post by 4lynne » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:06 am

This no longer is needed so I changed it as it no longer applies
made my self root and fixed the connection problem . . Just have to get Marlin.ino working right !
Last edited by 4lynne on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mediaklan

Post by mediaklan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Yes, I can tell there's a problem with your printer, specifically with your arduino/ramps, as your computer is not able to acknowledge your printer. I think you might need to recheck everything on your printer from scratch, just to be sure.
When I first received my printer (GT i3 Pro B), one of the first thing I tried was to check the arduino alone using USB and even without any wiring, it was already working.
At least we know there's some reaction ^^, as the led flashes when you connect it.
Any progress since you've reinstalled Ubuntu ?
From your lsusb command, I don't know what is this device :

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2232:1029
Could be your printer ? One way to know is to see if this device disapears when you disconnect your printer, and show up again when you connect it, an other way is to connect your printer and get more info with :

lsusb -vv
Please feel free to contact me with PM ^^.
PS : Do you have multiple users on your computer ? if so, you're right, I might need to update my tutorial, thanks !

4lynne

Post by 4lynne » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:05 am

. . Dumped Windows as way to connect to the Printer to much of a problem
Linux ( Ubuntu 15.04 ) connects to the 3 D Printer via /dev/ttyUSB0 and so does every thing else
Last edited by 4lynne on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

4lynne

Post by 4lynne » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:34 pm

Well deleted this pile of stuff as it no longer applies to me got connection at /dev/ttyUSB0 now
Just need to get marlin.ino file to make it through the verify . .
Last edited by 4lynne on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

4lynne

Post by 4lynne » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:57 pm

Do not need the ramps file got the Printer to connect via Linux (Ubuntu 15.04 ) have Arduino IDE 1.6.5 installed and Repetier-Host able to connect and Slic3r is installed just need this marlin.ino file to work now !
Last edited by 4lynne on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

4lynne

Post by 4lynne » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:52 am

I up graded to 15.04 and got the dependency files installed and got Slic3r installed and have a icon over on the left side

mediaklan

Post by mediaklan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi again 4lynne ! Strange, I did not receive any notifications about your new messages, so sorry for the long absence. Now, some clues :
-

sudo yum install arduino.noarch arduino-core.noarch
: First, this is for Fedora, not Ubuntu. Do you use them both ? Dual boot ? Another computer ? There's no need to add repos for arduino in Fedora since it's already in the default ones. As far as I recall, you don't need to add repos in Ubuntu too. Arduino IDE is all already in there.
- You will only get this file "I3_Ramps_ino" from a firmware : I asked Geeetech support team for it, and they were kind enough to send it to me in an email. It's a zip file, so you have to decompress it and you will find the file "I3_Ramps_ino" inside. But now, if your arduino ide is able to connect to your printer, it means AT LAST your printer is acknowledged by your computer, so DON'T modify your firmware if you don't need to.
-
made my self Root and got added to dial out group
Unecessary. I'm using both Fedora and Ubuntu, I don't need to be root, and I didn't put myself in the dial out group (which could only be needed with multiple computer users, when some of these users need additionnal permissions).
-
I AM back up to being able to move in 1 direction with program
: this is great ^^, because it actually means your 3d printer is working, with a communication established with your PC. Now, if you can only move in one direction (which is it ?), you may need to check your endstops, and your wiring. Maybe there's something wrong here.
-
sudo perl Build.PL
: Stop it. Right now. Don't even try to compile Slic3r if you're not highly skilled for that. It took me hours to be able to compile Slic3r, and I can tell it's one of the hardest compilation I have ever successfully managed. Instead, I highly recommand you first try Slic3r as a binary file (it's an executable).
You can get it here :
For PC x64 : http://dl.slic3r.org/linux/slic3r-linux ... ble.tar.gz
For PC x86 : http://dl.slic3r.org/linux/slic3r-linux ... ble.tar.gz
Inside you will find a folder named "bin" with slic3r in it. Give it a try !
Another app you could try is MatterControl. It's the one I'm using : https://mattercontrol.appspot.com/downl ... ref=5NEP8W. It's a deb file, so it will work with Ubuntu but not Fedora.
Anyway, good luck with your printer and keep us on the loop !

4lynne

Post by 4lynne » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:17 am

Okay what is next ? it uploads Blink and a few others to get the LED to stop blinking . . So do you have lessons on getting the marlin.ino file to work ?

mediaklan

Post by mediaklan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:02 am

You're not supposed to use the marlin firmware as it is. The best firmware to use is the one provided by Geeetech for your printer (which is a marlin firmware modified to suit the need of your printer).