Another Extruder issue....

JonahUK

Another Extruder issue....

Post by JonahUK » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi,

Built my Acrylic I3 Pro B and had a couple of issues which I eventually resolved (mainly the Z axis).

Got it all wired up and came to test but no filament is being extruded (using the small sample I got with the printer).
Anyway, checked the cable, motor and driver board of the extruder on all of the other axis (X, Y & Z) and they work fine.
Tested other cables, motors and driver boards in the extruder sockets (both 0 & 1) and nothing?
No movement from any motor at all in either socket?.

I have got the filament into the head and can see when I take the fan/heatsink of the extruder that it is all the way through but it does not get extruded.
Tested with up to 210 degress on the extruder yet the motor just does not turn.

Can anybody help with this?

Meanwhile I have contacted the seller (geeetech-official) on ebay with the same issue and asked for a replacement GT2560 board as everything else appears to work fine.

bang

Re: Another Extruder issue....

Post by bang » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:35 pm

I guess the socket is not working if you have heated your extruder before your test,then you can refer to this post:
www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18020

JonahUK

Post by JonahUK » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:05 am

Finally sorted the extruder out (well, sort of as I can see the cog turning) but now I have a new problem.

I have had to buy numerous nozzles (0.4 & 0.3) as well as throats due to constant blockage and now my filament (rigid-ink so not some cheapo filament) is just bubbling rather than flowing. Cannot get a first layer at all as it just spits out blobs rather than a line.

I can't go above 180 degrees on the extruder without smoke coming out of the hotend/nozzle which leads me to believe the thermister is broken on the hot end.

This is ridiculous!! Not ONE print in two weeks of trying, filament just getting wasted.

I am emailing the seller to ask for a new extruder fitting as this is a joke and I am not willing to spend anymore to get this piece of junk to print a simple calibration circle!!!!!

I have noticed that on most (if not all?) images/videos etc, the hot ends have some yellow tape or padding around them? Mine didn't have that?
Could that be causing the issue with the temp/smoke/bubbles etc?

cosmith

Post by cosmith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Check your thermistor. It sounds like it has slipped out of the block a little bit. I had the same issue.

bang

Post by bang » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:01 am

Yes,@cosmith is right.Maybe your thermistor of extruder didn't have a good contact to the heating block...

JonahUK

Post by JonahUK » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:56 pm

I have had it with this garbage.

Received a brand new hot end from the ebay seller, connected it and tested a print. NO FUCKING LUCK!!!!!!

The filament is bubbling and splurting even at 180 degrees!!!!
It just forms a bubble at the end of the nozzle and eventually begins to extrude but comes out in dribs and drabs and not free flowing and until it flows freely, I can't calibrate the steps to be 100% accurate, I have to rely on the value set in the firmware (93) and I have gone up/down from 90-110 and nothing resolves it.
I have changed the feeder to an all metal one and its still the same.

I have yet to print ANYTHING since having this printer.

Flashed default firmware countless and eventually had to flash a modified version due to the extruder 0 socket not working. The firmware used is attached to this post.
Checked all connections, no issues.

To restate, I have had a new board, new rods and a new hot end from the ebay seller and have yet to actually print anything with this junk.
I have given up and contacted the seller to see if they will refund but as its after 30 days, I very much doubt I will get one.
If that's the case, I will have to get ebay and paypal involved as this junk is not fit for purpose.

If anyone asks me to recommend a cheap 3D printer, I will tell them don't bother, spend the extra cash and get something decent, preferably pre-built.

Looks like I will be out of pocket just over £280 when factoring in filament and spare parts for this junk.

Going to strip it all down (yet again, seems to be a daily occurance!) and check everything AGAIN.

This is ridiculous.
Attachments
Marlin-E0 to E1 solt for PI3_Pro_B.zip
Current Firmware on my Pro B
(304.86 KiB) Downloaded 545 times

cosmith

Post by cosmith » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:00 pm

JonahUK wrote:I have had it with this garbage.

Received a brand new hot end from the ebay seller, connected it and tested a print. NO FUCKING LUCK!!!!!!

The filament is bubbling and splurting even at 180 degrees!!!!
It just forms a bubble at the end of the nozzle and eventually begins to extrude but comes out in dribs and drabs and not free flowing and until it flows freely, I can't calibrate the steps to be 100% accurate, I have to rely on the value set in the firmware (93) and I have gone up/down from 90-110 and nothing resolves it.
I have changed the feeder to an all metal one and its still the same.

I have yet to print ANYTHING since having this printer.

Flashed default firmware countless and eventually had to flash a modified version due to the extruder 0 socket not working. The firmware used is attached to this post.
Checked all connections, no issues.

To restate, I have had a new board, new rods and a new hot end from the ebay seller and have yet to actually print anything with this junk.
I have given up and contacted the seller to see if they will refund but as its after 30 days, I very much doubt I will get one.
If that's the case, I will have to get ebay and paypal involved as this junk is not fit for purpose.

If anyone asks me to recommend a cheap 3D printer, I will tell them don't bother, spend the extra cash and get something decent, preferably pre-built.

Looks like I will be out of pocket just over £280 when factoring in filament and spare parts for this junk.

Going to strip it all down (yet again, seems to be a daily occurance!) and check everything AGAIN.

This is ridiculous.
First, make sure the thermistor body is completely in the hotend. They tend to slip out.

What's the voltage across the hotend terminals on your main board? Check with the hotend turned on. This sounds like a major overheating problem.

JonahUK

Post by JonahUK » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:15 pm

cosmith wrote:First, make sure the thermistor body is completely in the hotend. They tend to slip out.

What's the voltage across the hotend terminals on your main board? Check with the hotend turned on. This sounds like a major overheating problem.
Hi,

I don't have a meter available so no idea on the voltage on the board.
To be honest, I am leaving this alone for a while as I am getting rather pissed off and annoyed with it so I need a break before I throw it, lol.

cosmith

Post by cosmith » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:22 pm

Understandable. When you feel up to it there are a few things I would check. First of all, make sure that thermistor is in the right spot. If it has slipped out of the block, even a little bit, it will read too low and the machine will keep heating. I had this problem and ended up melting some of the plastic extruder bits as well as the teflon tube in the throat.

Second, check your power supply and make sure you have the right mains voltage selected (there is a switch for 110/220). Also make sure you have the wires connected to the right terminals.

--Colin

Soadyheid

Post by Soadyheid » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:09 am

Second, check your power supply and make sure you have the right mains voltage selected (there is a switch for 110/220). Also make sure you have the wires connected to the right terminals.
I'd be very careful of this, if you're running with 220V mains and you switch to 110V you'll get a rather loud bang and magic smoke from the PSU!! :o

I've been getting "bubbles" as well at the hot end tip, it appears that the filament is sticking to the brass end rather than flowing free in a thread.
I've been moving up about 40MM in Z, heating the extruder and manually feeding to try and clear... more bubbling!
There's usually a blob at the end of the extruder tip before the print starts, I've been cleaning it off with tweezers before printing otherwise it drags the blobs onto the print area and invariably uses it to wipe the printed filament into a tangled mess!
I'm going to try treating the tip with liquid PTFE to stop the filament sticking to it.

Play Bonny!