G2S Extruder Troubleshooting Request

JHill42

G2S Extruder Troubleshooting Request

Post by JHill42 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased a G2S kit and after a few bumps have it pretty close to working. I am having some problems with both extruders. At first one was working, but the direction was backwards (extrude causes retraction), then after a while it stopped feeding. The motor still makes noise and vibrates, but doesn't seem to turn. So, I tried the other extruder - it just makes noise and the X, Y, and Z all seem to move down a bit.

To troubleshoot the issue(s) I think I should check the A4988 voltages (the stepper motor is 43mm square by 58mm long) - what should the voltage be? Try uploading firmware - could you send link to the G2S firmware and toolchain? Try the extruders on one of the axis circuits to see if board or motor is bad. For the reversed direction feed - is there a firmware option to change or pins that can be swapped?

Thanks,

Jeff

Mark

Re: G2S Extruder Troubleshooting Request

Post by Mark » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Dear JHill42,the firmware is sent to your mailbox,please reburn it to check the result.

JHill42

Post by JHill42 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Hello Mark,

Could you please resend it to me - it didn't come through. Either that or a link would be great.

Thank you,

Jeff

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:30 am

I've sent it ,please check your mailbox again.

JHill42

Post by JHill42 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:06 pm

Hello Mark,

I got it this time, thank you. I compiled and burned, but it didn't make a difference...

I looked up the motor specs and it suggested a 1.5amp setting. I changed the voltage on the pot to 1.5V (which I think is 1.5amps) and the stepper motors are now moving. All of the pots on the A4988 motor drivers were set to between .65 and .85V - what should they be set to for the axis and stepper motors? I fixed the direction problem by changing the "polarity" of one of the stepper motor coils (swapped the A and C pins with each other).

After they started working I tried a test print and the hotend started leaking and jammed up. Any advice on fixing it (are there solvents that work well on PLA)? I was thinking about teflon tape to seal it up, but welcome any thoughts you might have.

I think I'm getting there, thanks for your help.

-Jeff

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:31 am

the hotend started leaking and jammed up
After you changed the polarity,did the motor running in the right direction? Could it be the reason that causing jamm?
Or if the motor works well,you chould check the screw on the extruder too tight or too loose,try to adjust it.
As for the jamm,you can pull out the filament then clear the nozzle head,heat the nozzle without filament,and waiting for the remaining plastic to flow out.

JHill42

Post by JHill42 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:06 am

After I changed the polarity, the motor was going in the right direction. I did try the tension on the extruder drive and played around with the temps, then I disconnected the tubes and tried pushing by hand. Nothing came out of the nozzle, but some leaked out between the top of the hot block and the heat sink (or heat break). I think I may have carbonized the PLA a bit, so I may have to take it apart to clean, but I'll try just heating empty for a bit and see if that clears it (thanks for the suggestion).

I did find a way around the hotend fan turning off - I add M106 S255 to the beginning and end of the print job. I am concerned with how hot the heat brake is getting - it softens up the holder... I thought I saw a fan holder with shroud someone did for the G2S in the forums, but I cannot find it now. I'm thinking about removing the fans from the extruder motors (they don't seem to get warm at all and the fans make it difficult to see how the filament is threading through) and connecting the hotend fan to one of those headers (so it runs all the time). Is there a need for the fans on the G2S extruder motors?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:29 pm

"tried pushing by hand. Nothing came out of the nozzle, but some leaked out between the top of the hot block and the heat sink,I think I may have carbonized the PLA a bit"
It probably measns your nozzle is jammed with something. You must clear it up.
" I did find a way around the hotend fan turning off"
The hotend fan is working to keep a appropriate temperature. So it would change its speed according the current temperature. Don't need to turn it on all the times.
So I don't think it's a good way to remove the motor. Too hot will get it damaged quickly.

JHill42

Post by JHill42 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:32 am

Hello Mark,

I got the nozzle cleaned out and got some test prints. I'm using PLA at 190 and have a glass bed set to 60, but I think that the hotend is way too hot... The model I'm printing is still liquid 10+ layers down from the printhead and is getting deformed as the new material sticks to it. Do you have suggested temperature and movement rate settings for the G2S using PLA? I tried going down to 180 and it helped, but it still seems way to hot (can't go much lower without changing the FW). I can modify the FW to go lower, but is there anything I should check to see if the right thermister is set?

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:47 pm

If you read the right numbers at room temperature, then the thermister is Ok.
Does your hotend fan works well ?