Ramps 1.4 Mosfet Overheating "magic smoke"

zhangxueyou

Re: Ramps 1.4 Mosfet Overheating "magic smoke"

Post by zhangxueyou » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Yeah, that is a good idea! Can you share the stl file?

mediaklan

Post by mediaklan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:04 pm

I agree ! Quite a good job Joseph ! I was planning to do something similar but much more complicated (and using way too much filament).

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah i also wanted something more complex but i just wanted to start printing so mi friend rpinted thjs model. If you want it here the link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:145946

But still i cannot believe problems was overheating having this attachment. mi only conclusion is problem with the MosFet itself.

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Joseph wrote:Yeah i also wanted something more complex but i just wanted to start printing so mi friend rpinted thjs model. If you want it here the link: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:145946

But still i cannot believe problems was overheating having this attachment. mi only conclusion is problem with the MosFet itself.
Thank you for sharing.
Actually, if you let the fan face to MOSFET, it can not be burnt out, I use my printer with ramps for a couple of weeks, the MOSFET is still fine.

blackeagle

Post by blackeagle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:52 pm

zhangxueyou wrote:This is how I mount the mainboard, use a screw and power cable to firm it.
QQ截图20150420142356.png
QQ截图20150416160855.png
How many screw holes do you have connected? If I mount it that way I only have 1 screw that lines up and getting the USB cable in is almost impossible. I had to mount it the other way as everyone else has, and now I get to replace my ramps as the board fried...

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 am

blackeagle wrote:
zhangxueyou wrote:This is how I mount the mainboard, use a screw and power cable to firm it.
QQ截图20150420142356.png
QQ截图20150416160855.png
How many screw holes do you have connected? If I mount it that way I only have 1 screw that lines up and getting the USB cable in is almost impossible. I had to mount it the other way as everyone else has, and now I get to replace my ramps as the board fried...
Of course you can do it like Joseph, adding 2 fan mount above mainboard to change the fan's position and have a better cooling.

blackeagle

Post by blackeagle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:10 pm

That doesn't answer the question, how many screws do you have holding the ramps down? which holes? It sounds like due to a design flaw a lot of us are frying our ramps..

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:27 am

blackeagle wrote:That doesn't answer the question, how many screws do you have holding the ramps down? which holes? It sounds like due to a design flaw a lot of us are frying our ramps..
Sorry, my misunderstanding.
If you mount the board like me, only need 1 screw and the hole is the ellipse one.
If you mount like Joseph, you need 2 screws and one of the hole is beside the ellipse one, another is on the bottom-right corner.

blackeagle

Post by blackeagle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:59 pm

zhangxueyou wrote:
blackeagle wrote:That doesn't answer the question, how many screws do you have holding the ramps down? which holes? It sounds like due to a design flaw a lot of us are frying our ramps..
If you mount the board like me, only need 1 screw and the hole is the ellipse one.
If you mount like Joseph, you need 2 screws and one of the hole is beside the ellipse one, another is on the bottom-right corner.
Only 1 screw holds the entire board up? i wouldn't think that would work well... Thinking it needs at least another hole drilled. Then add the fan as Joseph has done to get stability and cooling.

zhangxueyou

Post by zhangxueyou » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:32 am

blackeagle wrote:
zhangxueyou wrote:
Only 1 screw holds the entire board up? i wouldn't think that would work well... Thinking it needs at least another hole drilled. Then add the fan as Joseph has done to get stability and cooling.
Yes, only 1 screw, and the power cable. I put the power cable between the fan and acrylic plate.