Xbee USB Adapter issues

beatlerat

Xbee USB Adapter issues

Post by beatlerat » Sat May 05, 2012 5:19 am

I have just received two of these and both cables have a short in them and one of the Xbee USB adapters is not making contact with the reset pin. I had to use my own cable and have only one working USB adapter. Please advise.
Roger

jack

Re: Xbee USB Adapter issues

Post by jack » Sat May 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi friend,
both cables have a short in them and one of the Xbee USB adapters is not making contact with the reset pin
Do you mean there is a problem about the USB cable?Could you post the picture to provide us more details?

regards;
Jack

beatlerat

Post by beatlerat » Sun May 06, 2012 9:43 pm

HI,
In one of the cables, the metal separated from the plastic housing on the large USB end of the cable. It is loose and I can only assume that some (or one) of the wires are cut. The other cable does not work, period. They were shipped like this. One of the Xbee USB adapter's reset pin does not work. I have looked at the board closely and can't see anything physical that would cause it not to work. After I can communicate with the module, It will program. But if there is a problem with communication, the reset pin does not work (acts like it is a bad solder joint). There are air bubbles in some of the solder joints. I am NOT in the repair business and expect these items to work as shipped. All I ask for is replacements....If that is not possible, I can ship everything back.
Roger

techsupport
Site Admin

Post by techsupport » Tue May 08, 2012 3:00 pm

In one of the cables, the metal separated from the plastic housing on the large USB end of the cable. It is loose and I can only assume that some (or one) of the wires are cut. The other cable does not work, period. They were shipped like this. One of the Xbee USB adapter's reset pin does not work. I have looked at the board closely and can't see anything physical that would cause it not to work. After I can communicate with the module, It will program. But if there is a problem with communication, the reset pin does not work (acts like it is a bad solder joint). There are air bubbles in some of the solder joints. I am NOT in the repair business and expect these items to work as shipped. All I ask for is replacements....If that is not possible, I can ship everything back.
Hi friend;
Our support team will contact you and offer you a replacement for Xbee adapter and cables. :)

regards,
supporteam
Your real trustworthy partner in China!!
Email: forum@geeetech.com

beatlerat

Post by beatlerat » Wed May 09, 2012 5:09 am

Hi,
I have taken apart both cables and in one cable, three of the wires on the USB end were broken. On the other cable, the Mini USB end the +5 v (red) was broken. I would say very poor workmanship. I have not looked at the broken Xbee adapter except to note that there is air (pockets) in the solder joints from the 10 pin sockets (Xbee) to the board. Again, poor quality. The solder has a dull, almost "leadlike" appearance. I may try resoldering the pins at some point, but not right now.