Won't auto-home at Z axis

eddyuk

Won't auto-home at Z axis

Post by eddyuk » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi,
There were unfortunate chain of events that led to that.
1st - I Installed the 3D touch but by mistake placed the connector of it in the white slot. A burnt smell and when I rewired it correctly it didn't seemed to work (red led didn't light).

2nd - I wanted to restore failsafe but somehow the when I pressed it down the menu went to Initialize EEPROM (I have no idea what that is).

Now the state as following. I tried to print something, and during bed heating printer restarted. I went to menu and tried to auto-home it and noticed that it is going home at X and Y but at Z it goes slightly up and stops. I checked the Temperature settings in printer as well, and they are at 0.

How can I recover from that?

William
Site Admin

Re: Won't auto-home at Z axis

Post by William » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:04 am

Hi,
1. An incorrect connection occurred. According to your description, the 3d touch may be burned. You can check whether the adapter board is normal. 2. Can the z-axis be controlled to rise and fall normally through the screen? You can check whether your wiring is loose.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

eddyuk

Post by eddyuk » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi,

Manual lowering and rising on Z axis is working fine. Only on autohome it is not working.
About 3d Touch - I did smell burn when I wrongly connected it, but don't know if it is - anyways it is disconnected.
Overall printer seems to be working, but as well, I noticed that temperature of bed and nozzile is at 0 and used to be at 190 and 60 out of the box,
which leads me to believe that some configuration must be corrupted.
Another note - I haven't done anything to the firmware - only attached 3D touch.

Thanks

Sodium100mg

Post by Sodium100mg » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:46 pm

The z limiter switch is on the left side of the printer. The Z homes by lowering down till the button is pressed. The button sits on a 1.5"x1.5"(?) board attached to the left vertical bar. Look for the switch and see if the home triggers it.

eddyuk

Post by eddyuk » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:06 am

The problem is that it does not go down when being auto-homed but goes slightly up and stops.
I made a video to make it more clear https://photos.app.goo.gl/BAiYF8xhsQzTR1n17
By the way, I noticed that the Z stopper is always have a red led on - is it supposed to be on always?
Thanks

Sodium100mg

Post by Sodium100mg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:39 am

NO, the light should NOT be on!

You should be able to manually actuate the switch and when pressed, the light should go on and when released, the light should go off and there should be a "click".

eddyuk

Post by eddyuk » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:12 pm

Ok, so its a good direction. The question is what needs to be replaced? Is the switch burned? or something else?

Sodium100mg

Post by Sodium100mg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:01 am

I'm new to 3d, but standard trouble shooting should apply.

Start with actuating the switch and feeling and listening for the click. Does it click?

The Y and the Y axis use the same switch, you could swap the wires, power up the printer (don't hit home) and try the switch again. Any different?

Swap the wires out and remove the z switch from the printer. Look at where the solder connects to the switch. Does it look well soldered?

If the switch does not click or if the switch clicks, but swapping wires still has a problem with Z, but not with Y and there is nothing visibly wrong, replace the switch.

eddyuk

Post by eddyuk » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:50 am

I did all that.
Currently this is the situation:
The Z stopper is always on even when not pressed
On the printer display Z is flickering with question mark (?)
After I removed a filament, at the bottom of the screen there was a message: "Home XYZ first"

Mortega

Post by Mortega » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:50 am

Hi Edd,

I bought the printer just last week and have the same problem with the Z-axis not homing, and also the question mark on the Z. I also installed the 3D touch sensor, but in my case I did everything correctly and my sensor is not burnt at all. So then I went back to the traditional firmware (without BL touch). But after doing everything possible (changing the switch cables, testing the microswitches, going back to the firmware with 3D touch but removing the Z switch, etc..), I can conclude that the microswitch itself is probably ok. In fact, microswitches are very simple and rarely fail unless you really do something wrong. So now, I can only assume that the problem has to be within the control board, since I doubt that there is anything wrong with the cables. I will open up the machine tomorrow and see what's up inside, I guess, but I have to admit that it is very disappointing to have to deal with these issues only one week after purchasing it.

Were you able to solve your issue, and if so did you find the solution?
Thanks and good luck!
Last edited by Mortega on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.