A20M extruder nozzle jammed

NorthernMonkey

A20M extruder nozzle jammed

Post by NorthernMonkey » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:49 am

Anyone every had an issue with not being able to remove the nozzle from the hot-end?

I've only had my A20M a few days and managed 2 good prints from it. I now seem to have developed a slight issue with jamming and after trying a few of the usual extruder fixes found an issue to be a slight blockage that couldn't get through the nozzle. When I cleared the nozzle using a tool it worked for a few minutes before blocking again. So I decided to change the nozzle. However, the nozzle is completely stuck tight. Now I'm a metal worker, I have lathes and all kinds of tools and this nozzle is so stuck that I've just had to give up and spend £20 + shipping on buying a completely new hot-end extruder! The forces I've been applying whilst trying to remove the nozzle are so great that pieces of the nozzle have started to deform, but the threads are still stuck!

Like I said, I've ordered a new hot-end but it's just frustrating that something as simple as changing a nozzle have now set me back a few weeks in printing! And not to mention the fact I hate admitting defeat when something like this happens! Has anyone else had this same issue and if so how did you win??? I might cut the block and nozzle completely in half and let you all know what the issue was... or I may just take a really big hammer to it...

William
Site Admin

Re: A20M extruder nozzle jammed

Post by William » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Hi,you can use the matching tool (wrench) ,
first, heat the hot end to more than two hundred degrees,
and unscrew the nozzle clockwise with a wrench.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:26 am

Tried that, that was the first thing I did. Then when that didn't work I tried a socket and a small torque wrench. Then when that didn't work I removed the hotend, clamped it in a vice, heated with a blowtorch and it was still stuck.

That's when I ordered the new hot end.

Since then I've managed to drill a 2mm hole through the side of the nozzle and feed a strong piece of steel through the hole. Heated the hotend with a blowtorch again and applied so much force to the steel that it ripped right through the nozzle. I don't know whether the nozzle was cross threaded or if some kind of corrosion or adhesive got into the thread but the nozzle was well and truly stuck and no amount of brute for was getting it out.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:28 am

The next step is to take a saw to the hotend, cut it in half and find out exactly what went wrong with this one, I'll post an update when I can.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Mon May 04, 2020 7:13 am

I so wish I'd read this Amazon review first! I've finally cut the hear block in half to find out this was what was wrong with my original hotend!!! So I'm now £50 down after buying a new hotend which still doesn't work as it's constantly clogging. I've had to completely disassemble it and clean it out thoroughly twice in 2 days!
Screenshot_20200504-001044_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200504-001044_Chrome.jpg (248.95 KiB) Viewed 8507 times

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue May 05, 2020 9:37 pm

So, the E3D Cyclops+ hotend and Titan extruders arrived yesterday! OMG what a difference!!! I've finally managed to solve my stringing issue (I was never able to solve this with the A20M hotend despite using over 1kg of filament in test prints), I've not had a single hotend blockage and I've done 7 - 8 prints since yesterday whilst calibrating the hotend (most of the time I was only ever able to complete 1 print before the A20M hotend blocked), and the print quality from the Cyclops+ hotend is incredible, I'm not sure why as both hotends were using 0.4mm nozzles and 0.15mm layer heights, but the Cyclops+ quality is beautiful.

Well there's the proof kids, in 3D printing, you get exactly what you pay for. Lesson well and truly learnt there... Sorry Geeetech, but never again...

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Wed May 06, 2020 10:12 am

Hi my friend.
I am very sorry about this.
If you find that there is a problem with the hot end or the nozzle, you can also contact our sales staff to replace it for you during the warranty period.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Thu May 07, 2020 5:21 pm

Well I've just had another surprise this morning. So not only did I pay for a new hotend that clogged immediately, a BLTouch unit and £15 for express delivery (totalling £50.49) but I've now just received a letter from FedEX demanding I pay £30.56 in import duty...

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 am

If anyone's looking to do the upgrade on the A20M from the default hot-end to the E3D Cyclops or Cyclops+ then I've created a mount that will allow you to mount the E3D Cyclops and Cyclops+ hot-end to the A20M chasis. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4378315