Linear advance, extruder very noisy

vert
Site Admin

Re: Linear advance, extruder very noisy

Post by vert » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:45 am

DzzD wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 am
I ve never seen a method to set spread cycle by soldering jumper, could you be more precise please ? as I only know about the OTP method via serial

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:20 am

Thanks, unfortnunatly that seems to applied only for TMC2100 :
https://learn.watterott.com/silentsteps ... ould-i-use

I've ordered the USB connector (FTDI FT232RL) to program the TMC2208 via OTP, I should receive it tomorrow.

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Before permanently modify my extruders steppers drivers with OTP, I will try to use stepper driver protectors (AKA TL smoother), as they are intended to avoid backcurrent from the stepper maybe Linear Advance will works fine with them.

I will give feedbacks.

https://www.amazon.fr/imprimante-Access ... ast_bbp_dp
https://www.reprap.me/ultra-silent-prot ... inter.html

vert
Site Admin

Post by vert » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:50 pm

DzzD wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:45 pm
Before permanently modify my extruders steppers drivers with OTP, I will try to use stepper driver protectors (AKA TL smoother), as they are intended to avoid backcurrent from the stepper maybe Linear Advance will works fine with them.

I will give feedbacks.

https://www.amazon.fr/imprimante-Access ... ast_bbp_dp
https://www.reprap.me/ultra-silent-prot ... inter.html
they never seem to do anything on my tmc2208.

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Ok but I want to use them to avoid back current not to improve quality. Linear advance seems to send back current that stop the extruder, with thoses diodes there should not be back current anymore, and if it is not working for linear advance, at least that will protect my mother board when I manually move the axis.

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:04 am

Steppers motors protectors (aka TL smoother) does not help, extruders still stop when printing with linear advance enabled.

Setting extruders TMC2208 in SpreadCycle mode via OTP works ! and they are not a lot noisier, perfect !

Also I have upgrade both extruder with dual geared one (original CR10S-PRO extruder), extrusion is now really really nice and reliable.

A good thing is that dual gear extruders (CR10S pro original) are compatible with the A20M and only requiere 2mm spacer (stl model attached to this post).

For those extruders in Marlin, set 140 step/mm.

The only downside is that those extruders are not really cheap...
Attachments
ExtrudersSpacers.zip
(83 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
ExtrudersSpacers.jpg
ExtrudersSpacers.jpg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 518 times

Jarda3d

Post by Jarda3d » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:13 am

Mixing extruder need more force than non-geared driver should do. Or you will print toooooooo slow.
A10M Slic3r profile: here and fresh on github (lot of tips here)
A10 Slic3r profile: here
TIP: tight all screws and wheels (except right side of Z axis) and re-align frame while assembly. And silence it.

vert
Site Admin

Post by vert » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:26 am

Jarda3d wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:13 am
Mixing extruder need more force than non-geared driver should do. Or you will print toooooooo slow.
correct they use 3 to 1 gearing on the mixing units for the extra mechanical power it provides.

DzzD

Post by DzzD » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:35 pm

I did not have any issue for now, I can even use 60mm/s retractation speed, both extruders TMC2208 stepper drivers have been set to Spreadcycle (more torque) with a Vref of 0.95, and with dual geared I am sure the fillament do not slip.

The main speed I use for printing is 70mm/s (lower for outer shell and top layers) and 0.3mm layer height and the prints are very neat, I will share some printed objects pictures.

Also, I Have to mention that I removed the metal disc (valve) from the throat of the heat block as suggested by Vert.

vert
Site Admin

Post by vert » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 pm

DzzD wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:35 pm
I did not have any issue for now, I can even use 60mm/s retractation speed, both extruders TMC2208 stepper drivers have been set to Spreadcycle (more torque) with a Vref of 0.95, and with dual geared I am sure the fillament do not slip.

The main speed I use for printing is 70mm/s (lower for outer shell and top layers) and 0.3mm layer height and the prints are very neat, I will share some printed objects pictures.

Also, I Have to mention that I removed the metal disc (valve) from the throat of the heat block as suggested by Vert.
pulling the disk should stop any back pressure in to the system.