CAD files for I3 X acrylic parts

MrMeatGrinder

CAD files for I3 X acrylic parts

Post by MrMeatGrinder » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:43 am

I have read in other threads that there are no .stl files available for the I3 X because the frame is laser cut acrylic. I understand why the files don't exist, but I am in need of several replacement parts.

I have broken a few pieces of my printer (mostly where the square nuts pull two pieces together) and would like to replace the with something stronger, like aluminum or stainless steel. Eventually I think that it would look awesome and be great to replace the entire frame. I have access to a variety of machines that could cut a part to replace my broken piece. I am familiar with several professional CAD programs and file types, and I'm very capable of just doing a CAD model of the parts I need if the files aren't available.

Are there any 2D or 3D .dxf, .dwg, .stp, or other files that I could use to cut replacement pieces for my I3 X? :?:

Mark

Re: CAD files for I3 X acrylic parts

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:48 pm

nope, no such files,...

MrMeatGrinder

Post by MrMeatGrinder » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:40 pm

Thank you for your response. Since there are no replacement parts available to purchase, I will post in the forum any CAD files that I create.

S Burn

Post by S Burn » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:03 pm

I have a few....won't let me upload here...let me know where to send them....

barry

Post by barry » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:29 pm

Subscribing to this thread. I would love to have a copy of those files to print backups for the printer. Thanks!

MrMeatGrinder

Post by MrMeatGrinder » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:02 pm

So I've been busy printing parts for a larger CNC router/mill as well as designing some other unrelated things.

This weekend I plan on finishing a model of the piece at the top of the Z-axis and making a second variation of that same piece with a slot for a 608 bearing (I picked that size because I happen to have quite a few of them laying around).

As a whole, I'm limiting my efforts to parts that can be printed on the provided bed and will possibly combine assemblies such as the X carriage pieces and the Z-axis motor mounts. Sorry for the delay, I hope anybody that has been waiting can forgive me.

It just always seemed odd that the laser cutter that made the originals would use CAD files but they aren't accessible to us. So I'm going to try my best.

MrMeatGrinder

Post by MrMeatGrinder » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:39 am

I finished the model for part number i3B1-08. It is the top piece to the Z-axis on both sides and should be interchangeable. A few external dimensions are different, but they won't affect functionality other than improving strength.

An interesting thing to note is that the frame is mostly measured out to standard measurements. I found that most of the measurements I was making ended up being common measurements. One thing to note would be that the frame thickness is actually less than 8mm. It's a very standard 5/16 inch thick (~7.66mm).

Print with PLA for accuracy, and at least 60% infill for strength. No raft.

Here is the link to a hosted file if the attachment does not work. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1307163
Attachments
v0i3B1-08.zip
(18.23 KiB) Downloaded 1536 times

MKE

Post by MKE » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:47 pm

Does somebody has a Y-motor holder STL or a CAD file? Would zou send it to me? Thanks in advance.

MrMeatGrinder

Post by MrMeatGrinder » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:37 pm

I will work on it tonight and post it here.

I also realized that I never actually posted the .dxf file for the other one, so I guess I'll do that now.
Attachments
i3B1-08.zip
(63.69 KiB) Downloaded 1592 times

S Burn

Post by S Burn » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:37 pm

[attachment=0]y_-_axis_idler.7z A few STL files I have for the pro x
Attachments
y_-_axis_idler.7z
Put over the bearing open with winzip
(10.52 KiB) Downloaded 1281 times