cooling fan management

Early riser

cooling fan management

Post by Early riser » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Hello everybody,
after more than 1 year of trouble-free operation with my MeCreator 2, a problem has now arisen.
After switching on the device so far a cooling fan has started. Increasingly, the start-up of this fan was associated with a loud noise level, which returned to normal after a certain time. Unfortunately, I did not observe which of the 4 built-in fans it was. I assume it was the board cooling fan. All fans are functional (removed and tested at separate power source).
Currently, none of the fans is activated when the device is turned on, not even the cooling fan for the component cooling with manual control at 100% fan speed. When the unit is switched off, the fans for the board cooling and the extruder cooling receive a short pulse, which is visible in some revolutions of the fans.
Can someone tell me what the correct function and control of the 4 fans must be:
1. Power adapter cooling --> permanentely or temperature controlled?
2. Board cooling--> permanetely?
3. Extruder cooling --> permanentely or temperature controlled?
4. Component cooling --> software controlled?!

Are there any experiences with this problem?
How can I find out if it is a hardware problem (board) or maybe a software problem?
For information, I thank you in advance

William
Site Admin

Re: cooling fan management

Post by William » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:06 pm

You can refer to these:
PWM cooling fan :Extruder PWM fan(It is for the printer object cooling.It is not the Mk8 extruder throat one)
The others 3 is not the PWM cooling fan and it means you can't control it with codes.
You can try to replace it to the new silent cooling fan.

All of them is the 24V cooling fan.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Early riser

Post by Early riser » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Hello William, thanks for the answer.
The open question is now why the fan (for board cooling ?!) does not start anymore when switching on the device.
Unfortunately I am not an expert in electronics, but if I understand the circuit diagram properly, there is no temperature sensor for controlling the start of the board cooling and the extruder cooling fans.
What is the most likely cause, Is a component on the board GT2560 Rev B defective?
As I have described, the fans work when they are supplied with power.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm

You can take some photos of the motherboard.
Then we can help to check it.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Early riser

Post by Early riser » Wed May 01, 2019 1:32 am

Hello William,
in the meantime, the three fans have resumed their function, but only for a short time.
It is noticeable that always all 3 fans are affected!
An additional problem has occurred with the fan failing again. The extruder stepper is no longer able to transport the filament. Nozzle and pipe are new. With the Extruder retracted, the filament can be pushed through the hot nozzle with little force. The stepper creates a clacking noise, but does not feed. Its not a friction problem, it seems that the torque is not sufficient. The filament is moving forward and backward in a high frequenz.

Attached a photo of the Board GT2560 REV B.

I did a few measurements and found that the electrical voltage at the fan socket is only about 4,5 V which seems to low for a 12 V fan. The reference voltage at the motor driver for the extruder drive is about 1,2 V.

Is there a plausible explanation for the low voltage on the fan socket and for the fact that all 3 fans are affected?
Which measurements or tests I could do to localize the cause?

Please help.
Regards, Werner
Attachments
GT2560_REV_B.jpg
GT2560_REV_B.jpg (305.08 KiB) Viewed 10397 times

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed May 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Hello.
:mrgreen:

Maybe the following schematic diagram will help you to understand how it works.
GT2560-vB_fan_con.png
GT2560-vB_fan_con.png (64.45 KiB) Viewed 10367 times
GT2560-vB_usb_power_.png
GT2560-vB_usb_power_.png (47.77 KiB) Viewed 10367 times

With a green arrow, I marked where the VIN potential comes from.
If the voltage at this point is too low, as you have noticed, you already know where to look for a fault :?:

Of course, your main power supply must work properly.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.