Extruder Jam and Resolution - Geeetech should note

AFewSkroosLoose

Extruder Jam and Resolution - Geeetech should note

Post by AFewSkroosLoose » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:37 am

This is a note that may help others with the Geeetech A10. My extruder gear was shredding filament and catching leading to under extrusion and obviously unacceptable prints.

First, check that your brass tooth gear attached to the extruder motor did not loosen and drop - this happened early on because the set screws holding the gear to the motor shaft were not tight enough. Be sure one of the set screws is located over the flat. This problem happened early and was easy to fix.

A more important issue that was more difficult to track down, and a design flaw Geeetech should address, is the idle pulley that rides against the extruders brass gear (the filament rides between the idler pulley and the brass gear). The pin this idler spins on is only molded plastic less than 3mm in diameter. After I verified I had no clogging in the bowden tube or hot end, I eventually realized the material was catching between the gear and the idler for some reason. The small plastic shaft the idler spins on had snapped off, allowing the idler to bounce around and jam against the gear and filament.

Luckily I have tools available to fix, but for some, their printer would be dead if this happened and they would have to order replacement or new extruder assembly. I drilled a new hole in the plastic pieces and tapped them for 3mm screw and now the idler and bearing rides on a metal 3mm screw. It immediately solved the problem.

I realize this is a budget printer, but using a tiny plastic pin in a constant use pressure situation is asking for failure. It wouldnt take much to include metal pin, not plastic for the idler to roll on.
Attachments
20180916_133926_Film3.jpg
20180916_133926_Film3.jpg (174.52 KiB) Viewed 8874 times

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Extruder Jam and Resolution - Geeetech should note

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:02 am

Hi
:mrgreen:

Such constructive comments are very nice to read.
I will have to check the condition of this roll in my printer. :roll:

Greetings cordially. ;)
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi.

:mrgreen:

Fortunately, in my case everything looks as it should be. :D
The printer has worked for over 100 hours and I can see no signs of wear in this mechanism. :roll:
mechanizm_podajnika.jpg
Disassembled feeder mechanism.
mechanizm_podajnika.jpg (245.12 KiB) Viewed 8819 times
I will certainly add this to my list of periodic checks.
:lol:
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

AFewSkroosLoose

Post by AFewSkroosLoose » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:24 am

Hmmm...mine failed after maybe 20hrs print time...unlucky, maybe! ;)

patm300e

Post by patm300e » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:52 pm

I would recommend trying an Extruder Feeder for MK8 on Thingiverse. That way you can print the spare parts. There are several iterations. I selected one close to the original with only two pieces and printed that. It is sitting as a spare for the moment.

AFewSkroosLoose

Post by AFewSkroosLoose » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks Pat will check it out