A10M upgrade to 2 extruder 2 nozzle setup

Jarda3d

Re: A10M upgrade to 2 extruder 2 nozzle setup

Post by Jarda3d » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:04 am

You can use it with original firmware, but adjust only hotend PID values and save to eeprom (use Pronterface to do that - via gcode cun calibration manually). Did not forget to take photo of old values.

And then in Slic3r at printer and filament configuration make appropriate changes.

And of course did not use Mixer feature now.
A10M Slic3r profile: here and fresh on github (lot of tips here)
A10 Slic3r profile: here
TIP: tight all screws and wheels (except right side of Z axis) and re-align frame while assembly. And silence it.

3D by EB

Post by 3D by EB » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:02 am

Ok, I'm currently using the firmware that is posted with the xcr3d adapter bracket.

I'm working on some slicer tweaks to get retraction and tool changes done correctly.

I beat my head for 3 days pouring over the firmware to find out why the second extruder wouldn't work.

Turns out that marlin 2.0 handles the virtual extruder differently that the stock firmware. I downloaded a new slicer profile, but it still didn't work.

That's when I found out that my octoprint server printer config had to be updated to show 2 extruders. Everytime the g-code would give a T1 command, octopi would just convert it to a T0 with no errors displayed.

I did get the xcr3d mixing hot end delivered. Mounting looks identical to the switching hotend. You should be able to retrofit to it without changing your firmware. It has a larger heat block and can use the OEM heating element.

crusader27529

Post by crusader27529 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 pm

Well, I've got the mount printed and can see how I can mount the new hot end to it with appropriate lenght 3mm screws from the back of the plate into the back of the hot end, but I don't see how the plate mounts to the carriage. None of the hols actually line up.

I thought that the cage screw hole could be used by sandwiching the mount between the plate and carriage, but that doesn't line up. I must be missing something, but it doesn't appear to even come close to mounting on my A10M.

Does this carriage mount the same as yours?
Attachments
20200108_230256[1].jpg
20200108_230256[1].jpg (237.78 KiB) Viewed 11593 times

3D by EB

Post by 3D by EB » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:31 am

I have attached the picture showing the 4 screws that mount the adapter bracket to the oem hot end cover.
Attachments
featured_preview_20191230_193101.jpg
featured_preview_20191230_193101.jpg (70.36 KiB) Viewed 11557 times

crusader27529

Post by crusader27529 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks for the picture......I never thought that the mount was supposed to be attached to the cage, but it makes sense.

BTW, I'm not very good with spatial relationships, as I can't do a Rubik's Cube without a book to guide me.

I'll get some 3mm screws to mount the hot end, but I won't be able to actually use it until my order for the correct thermistor arrives. It'll be a week or more coming from Ali Express, so I've plenty of time to figure out all the other stuff that this thread talks about that I'm not quite 100% about, specifically some of the parameter value changes.

I'll be so glad to dump the A10M OEM hot end and its clogging. The new one looks like the feed path is as direct as can be and shouldn't clog as badly as the original.

Again, THANKS.

3D by EB

Post by 3D by EB » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:51 am

crusader27529 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:35 am
Thanks for the picture......I never thought that the mount was supposed to be attached to the cage, but it makes sense.

BTW, I'm not very good with spatial relationships, as I can't do a Rubik's Cube without a book to guide me.

I'll get some 3mm screws to mount the hot end, but I won't be able to actually use it until my order for the correct thermistor arrives. It'll be a week or more coming from Ali Express, so I've plenty of time to figure out all the other stuff that this thread talks about that I'm not quite 100% about, specifically some of the parameter value changes.

I'll be so glad to dump the A10M OEM hot end and its clogging. The new one looks like the feed path is as direct as can be and shouldn't clog as badly as the original.

Again, THANKS.
I'm glad to help out. I've done a couple 2 color prints with moderate success. I probably need to reduce my tool change retraction speed. I think I've got it set too fast and it's either slipping or chewing up the filament a little. I set it fast to accommodate for the extra retraction distance required with this hot end.

My single color prints have come out very clean and I can tell the extruder motor isn't struggling to feed filament anymore.

crusader27529

Post by crusader27529 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:16 am

I've been test printing just single color with the E0 extruder for a few days, and am amazed how much better the results are compared to the base OEM hot end.

Everything just runs so smoothly with no issues, and I've been printing both small and large jobs all weekend with absolutely no problems.

I did have a bitch of a time setting the Z-offset, but that was my problem, not related to the new hot end.

One of the things that I did some time ago that helped immensely with getting reliable results was to ditch the crap bed leveling hardware completely. What I installed were fixed spacers that I got from Thingiverse (20mm if I recall), and rep[laced the old HW with the specers. I used LockTite to secure the nuts on the screws. Obviously, there are no adjustments involved. I still use the BL-Touch for bed shape analysis, simply because the bed does rotate a little on the bearings, and tightening the offsets too much can cause layer shift.

So, I'm thrilled with the new hot end, and will tackle the second extruder and the offsets required once I get the stuff I really need to be printed finished.

THANKS for all the help.

crusader27529

Post by crusader27529 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 am

Make that the E1 extruder.......

Dave_Da48

Post by Dave_Da48 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 pm

Hello

I've the sock A10M and I want to upgrade to 2 nozzles and change this hotend who's a big source aof problems and i'm tired, i see the post of Bassrvr which is very interesent but i don't see how to attach the 2 nozzles extrudors ans more important how to connec and cotrol two heat resistences and the two heat captors.... Tanks in advance :!: :D

the brother

Post by the brother » Sun May 03, 2020 9:24 pm

hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I've had a A10M printer for about 3 weeks now and I've done lots of successful prints after i sorted out the initial bugs. However I'm now getting a clogged nozzle regularly :( and now I'm looking to switch to a dual hotend for PLA with PVA supports.

I've ordered the hotend and the other bits and pieces but is there somewhere I can get the firmware that supports the 2 in 2 out hotend?

thanks