A10T changes X/Y axis mid print and then returns to another position

IamAnubis

A10T changes X/Y axis mid print and then returns to another position

Post by IamAnubis » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 am

Hi,

So after fixing up the extraction issue that I had, my A10T worked pretty well up until it started to change position on the X and Y axis during printing.

At first I thought that it may be due to no adhesion, but as you can see here the item is firmly in place on the bed and has not changed position from when it was laid down.
Image 1.gif
Image 1.gif (33.96 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
Image 2.gif
Image 2.gif (32.53 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
In these photos you can see multiple times that it has changed position during the printing process.
Image 3.gif
Image 3.gif (55.54 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
Image 4.gif
Image 4.gif (58.93 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
Image 5.gif
Image 5.gif (57.31 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
But it is not just limited to this particular print, here are two other examples that where sliced different ways that still have had the same issue!
Image 6.gif
Image 6.gif (52.35 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
Image 7.gif
Image 7.gif (55.56 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
So how do I fix this issue? at first I thought it had to do with the 3D touch that I installed so I removed it and re-flashed the firmware and did a PID tune for the extraction of the filament.

Any help would be great as I have no idea how to fix this issue and I really need the printer for my small business!!!

RitchievanDaal

Re: A10T changes X/Y axis mid print and then returns to another position

Post by RitchievanDaal » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:49 pm

The problem you are referring to is commonly known as 'layer shift'

Commonly 3D printers don't have positional registration, meaning the stepper motors move relative to their last positional command.
The stepper motor however cannot verify if it actually moved to the correct position, it just assumes it did. There is no feedback-loop.

So, for example, if you would physically hold the head, or bed of you printer whilst it is moving, the printer would not be able to register that stop of motion and will simply move as intended after the stop, but in a different location.

This can happen because of a few reasons;
1. Inertia - Your printer is moving too fast in relation to the strength/torque your stepper motors have.
This happens a lot in printers which have heavy moving components, for example a bed on the Y axis.
Sudden starting and stopping can cause the printer to miss steps, or the belts to skip teeth even.
- check your acceleration settings, or printing speed altogether.

2. Unexpected collisions - Your material settings are off causing 'zits' and 'blobs' or other deformities (warping), which collide with the nozzle which can cause a loss of steps.
- check your material settings and perhaps lower your printing temperature.

3. Aenemic steppers - Some printers come with steppers that have too little torque for the hardware they're supposed to move, or the stepper drivers provide to little power to the steppers. This is perhaps the hardest to modify, especially if you are new to the field.
- There is a small '+' screw on the stepper driver, turn this very carefully clockwise to increase the voltage. BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THIS AS IT CAN FRY THE DRIVER/MOTOR! Use a multimeter to measure what you are doing and watch a tutorial before you do this.

4. Obstructions along the X and Y axis rails - sometimes after a couple of prints small debris inherent of 3D printing can form and fall into the printer, if this debris gets into the V-grooves of the profiles it can cause resistance or rightout block motion along that axis.
- Check if you can manually move the X and Y carriages smoothely.

In conclusion is can be a combination of factors and it might actually be,
I would start with step 4, then step 2 then step 1 (the order of steps one and 2 are interchangable actually) finally step 3 if the problem isn;t solved.
I would not recommend trying more than a single step/change at a time though!

Hope this helps,

IamAnubis

Post by IamAnubis » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:11 am

Hi RitchievanDaal

I have done all but step 3 on your list over the past week (as I am not too good with electrical stuff unless it is plug and play or basic home electrics) and yet I still get shifts in the layers.

It can't really be anything else other than something to do with the firmware/software interactions as I have recliced the files a number of times even changing height/position/direction of print and yet I still have the same issues.

I have set a camera up at the moment to see if I can lock down the precise moments it begins to change, but on one print yesterday it simply shifted the bed slight forward less than a millimeter on the Y axis over 4 seperate layers and on another a good 10 millimeters on 5 layers on the X axis.

I have cleaned all the V slots, tightened and loosened belts and wheels, printed cable chains, removed cable chains, and it is still shifting. It is driving me insane because on a couple of other files it doesn't do any shifting just prints out the file perfectly!!

IamAnubis

Post by IamAnubis » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi,

I have even removed Repetier-Host off my computer, downloaded a new version, installed and configured to meet the A10T requirements and I am still getting issues.

I even downloaded the A10T repetier-host Configuration file and this still hasn't changed the issue, although I note that the A10T repetier-host Configuration file is 3 versions behind the software (Repetier-Host is now 2.1.6 where as the A10T repetier-host Configuration file is 2.1.3) and I am wondering if this could be causing some issues with the slicing of the files?

Any help would be great as this is starting to cost my business from all the failed prints.

MilesSawyer

Post by MilesSawyer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:10 pm

Hello,
my Geeetech A10 Pro doesn't start up, the display is staying "black" and nothing happens...
I opened the cover and just the red led in the upper left of the board is glowing (red) at the moment.
Everything is connected correct and no wrong polarity.
Hope someone can help me with that issue. :?essay writer

Przepka1985

Post by Przepka1985 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:08 am

IamAnubis wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:28 pm
Hi,

I have even removed Repetier-Host off my computer, downloaded a new version, installed and configured to meet the A10T requirements and I am still getting issues.

I even downloaded the A10T repetier-host Configuration file and this still hasn't changed the issue, although I note that the A10T repetier-host Configuration file is 3 versions behind the software (Repetier-Host is now 2.1.6 where as the A10T repetier-host Configuration file is 2.1.3) and I am wondering if this could be causing some issues with the slicing of the files?

Any help would be great as this is starting to cost my business from all the failed prints.
For me looks like missing steps, try to adjust vref on your drivers first. If you got stock drivers it will be 1.0v - 1.1v
Check tension on y belt and x belt.
Check wires connection on motherboard.
Check your y axis it not got any obstacles.
Check y axis wires not catch anything on way.