First time to start.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

First time to start.

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu May 31, 2018 12:14 pm

Hello. :mrgreen:

Since I had a problem with connecting this dongle with a home access point I will describe my experiences.

It will also be a supplement to the user manual which seems to be a bit obsolete.
Apparently, the firmware for the communication module is constantly being developed.

First of all, it has to be said that:

There are some restrictions and requirements as to the content of the password protecting the wifi network in which the module is to work.

Wiliiam informed about it in this forum when he helped one user to solve his problem. ;)

The wireless password must be max 15 characters long and must not contain any special characters.
In my opinion, this would need to be improved. :mrgreen:
Personally I had to modify settings of several dozen of equipment and gadgets used by my family.
Don't be surprised if you count computers, household appliances, smartphones and other appliances, you certainly have more of them in your home.

During the first startup it is necessary to pay attention to the need of a specific connection of the USB cables. :!:
One is use for communication (USB A port) and the other (USB micro B port) is only used to power the module.

The module shall be equipped by the manufacturer with a storage medium in the form of a 1 GB SD micro card.

To connect the module to the wifi network, switch it to AP mode.
You can do this by holding down the button for about 3 seconds.
In an unconnected module, the LED (with WIFI icon) blinks a little faster than once per second.
When the button is pressed for about 3 seconds, the LED will blink twice as fast.
If you see a quicker blink, release the button immediately.

Now the module works in AP mode, the SSID of its network is GT_printer.
This fact can be easily checked by connecting to the 3DWiFi module via a browser. (via the assigned network address, after connecting to the WiFi network of our module, the module in AP mode has an active DHCP server)

To configure the module as a WiFi client, use a (free) dedicated application available in the PLAY store.
Refer to the user's manual.

When the module receives a new configuration, it will automatically attempt to connect to the newly configured wireless network. The LED indicator will then switch from fast flashing to slower flashing mode.
This means that the received configuration has been saved in non-volatile memory. Now the module will enter the client mode and start trying to connect to the wireless network.

When this operation is successful, the LED indicator stops flashing and lights up continuously.
If this operation fails, the LED will flash further (after about 30 seconds).

Then we should repeat the whole operation because maybe the password was entered incorrectly or does not meet the criteria of the manufacturer.

To configure the WiFi environment in the module, it is not necessary to connect a printer and load an SD card.

If the button is pressed for more than 3 seconds, the configuration saved in the non-volatile memory will be erased and the LED indicator will blink slower.

It is best to connect the SD card and printer to the module when it is not powered. :!:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
The 3D Wi Fi module works seamlessly with my network.
I did the tests when the network was configured as follows:
Authentication Type WPA PSK, WPA2 PSK
Encryption TKIP, AES.
When the device is able to choose security, it connects seamlessly using WPA2PSK & AES.
:mrgreen:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
links to useful information and the shop:

Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer manual
Wiki page
YouTube guides
online store
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

orest

Re: First time to start.

Post by orest » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:46 am

I got my WiFi module through the Indiegogo special. I have 2 Geeetech printers, an I3b and a Rostock 301. I am also using the Apple IOS app with both an IPad and iPhone. The results are always the same.
1. I created an account and was able to bind the module per instructions.
2. I can get WiFi working per instructions. But when this step is complete, the app always says “ connecting printer “. It stays like this for many minutes and never goes to online mode. Is the module defective? This happens with both printers.
3. The app does not have a Rostock 301 configuration. When I try to create my own, I can’t change the extruder number to 3 and even worse can’t save my custom configuration.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:40 pm

I think you will not do anything with 3 point. That's how this programme was done, and that's its charm. We can only wait for it to be updated.

Regarding the connection.
Did you try to configure baud rate in program?

You may still try to switch the equipment on in a different order.
For example
start the printer the first, and then the 3DWiFi module. :D

When everything is set correctly, the LEDs are lit up continuously. :mrgreen:
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

Gingko
Site Admin

Post by Gingko » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:04 pm

orest wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:46 am
I got my WiFi module through the Indiegogo special. I have 2 Geeetech printers, an I3b and a Rostock 301. I am also using the Apple IOS app with both an IPad and iPhone. The results are always the same.
1. I created an account and was able to bind the module per instructions.
2. I can get WiFi working per instructions. But when this step is complete, the app always says “ connecting printer “. It stays like this for many minutes and never goes to online mode. Is the module defective? This happens with both printers.
3. The app does not have a Rostock 301 configuration. When I try to create my own, I can’t change the extruder number to 3 and even worse can’t save my custom configuration.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
1, The connection problem, you can log out and log in your account again to have a try.
2, It's a pity that this App temporarily does not support Delta printer, due to different track structure... :oops: