A10M Firmware?

aarli

Re: A10M Firmware?

Post by aarli » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:46 am

_kaktus_ wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 pm
Hi
:mrgreen:

Wouldn't it be better to introduce conditional compilation with one parameter :?:
Depending on its value, part of the code could be omitted for compilation. What still requires a lot of work to adjust the whole code.

Then you have two firmware versions in one source. When making changes, it is very convenient and includes both versions at once. :idea:
This would make sense for bigger projects and solutions. Here, however, the bed levelling requires different firmware because
it's basically hardcoded. If it's enabled, you can't disable it without reinstalling the different version. And vice versa.

But since "3d touch" version perfectly fits into memory and flash, I see no reason why firmware can't be universal and contain both support and ability to disable/enable the sensor from menus.

For example nobody re-compiles Linux kernel each time they want to plug in a USB-device which wasn't there during the first kernel build. That would be absolutely idiotic.

Same goes for printer. And to maintain 2 different firmwares, from which one is ~supporting~ (I should write demanding) the sensor while the other doesn't demand nor support - that's insane.

The compiled hex file size difference between the two of them is neglible. The small firmware size difference has zero effect on performance of this printer, as touch sensor's routines are active only during bed levelling. The only slight difference in controller load during the print is coming from not having this functionality compiled in, but rather from the fact that levelled bed means that first print layers will be calculated against levelling measurement vectors. However, there is no difference whether multi-point levelling was done manually, or using the touch sensor.

That being said, maintaining 2 different firmware versions only because there's no way to control the function from end user interface - this is far from being optimal or reliable approach to software development. And what if I want to re-adjust offsets on the fly? You can't, as these 3 values are also hardcoded. That means that for each and every different sensor type (or even if manufacturers are cloning sensor designs) there are small variations in alignment, so all these variants must also have different firmware builds, only because of a few missing settings from printer's menus?

Sorry, but I must disagree with your view on this :)
Geeetech A10 (with mods) + Geeetech A10M
Repetier Server on Raspberry PI 3, connected to printers for remote printing/firmware uploads.
Slic3r Prusa Edition, Simplify3D, Ultimaker Cura, Repetier host on the PC

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:28 am

Hello.

You don't have anything to apologize for. ;)

Simply maintaining two firmware versions is a nuisance.
That's what we agree on. :lol:

If you program this functionality as an option available to the user, it will be a better solution than the one I suggested.
But more labour-intensive. :roll:

For my part, it was just a suggestion to avoid keeping two versions of the code. :D
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

aarli

Post by aarli » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:05 am

So, I finished familiarising myself with the code. Although initially I'd like to bring some of it into 1.1.9 but this is going to be just Geeetech-specific. Eventually I'd like contribute main development version of Marlin, which now is 2.0.x

1.1.9 was the final version of 1.1.x branch.

I also reviewed all the pending pull requests and some forks of 2.0.x and it does seem that nobody else is looking into this, so it'd be a great new feature candidate ;)

Started thinking today of a possible Web site, which would enable people to customise main configuration and after you press make button, it would compile the firmware and zip it along with chosen config for you to download. Only if I find TIME...
Repetier Server on Raspberry PI 3, connected to printers for remote printing/firmware uploads.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi

An ambitious plan.
I remain to wish you only perseverance in its implementation. :D
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

aarli

Post by aarli » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:34 am

Meanwhile, some updates: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=61728