Blown capacitor at PSU... its called "power-smoke"

TheNoob

Blown capacitor at PSU... its called "power-smoke"

Post by TheNoob » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 am

Greeting to all you fellow tinkerers!
This is my first dive into 3D printing world and it has been great! Every _single_ part was either labeled or numbered and they fit together really nicely! And there i was thinking of "normal" DIY-quality while ordering :D

Even after this smoky experience im more concerned why my X-axis stepper did not move :x not when giving instructions from control panel nor while doing test print. What could be the cause of this?
What i did was;
Turned the machine off from main switch
Unplugged and checked X-axis motor cable and connectors before inserting it back
Turned the machine on... blower starts, weird noise.. flash, BANG and pillow of smoke in the closing dark... such a classic :D

Fuse and that 250V 220uF capacitor are dead and going to maybe first try out old PC PSU before replacing that much more better looking orginal PSU. But this all hangs on the question about the non-responsive motor.. should i maybe temporarily replace PSU and try connection that X-axis motor into another outlet to check cable& motor? i am totally a noob as to software options, so if you suggest one test involving any software then please make it into step-by-step guide, thanks :)

P.s. To post a picture, do i really need to upload it first into web or where is the usual "attach"-button?

TheNoob

Re: Blown capacitor at PSU... its called "power-smoke"

Post by TheNoob » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:26 am

If you have access to Tor-browser then
http://nimetonsarpyc6mm.onion/.media/e7 ... gejpeg.jpg
is where the picture of opened PSU is :shock:

Edit:
Tor-browser can be downloaded from https://www.torproject.org/

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:52 am

Hello.
:mrgreen:

If your power supply has been damaged when it is switched on, there is most likely to be an installation error. :roll:
For example, the ~230/~110V AC switch is in the wrong position. This is just an unfortunate example. ;)

Check all electrical connections carefully. Also make sure that the stepstick modules are properly seated in the sockets.
:D
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

TheNoob

Post by TheNoob » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:17 am

What you say is perfectly in line with reality :D
There is nothing more embarrassing than burning out ones PSU with incorrect wiring ;) but i must remind you that i had the machine "printing" a test piece -extruder didn`t push out molten ABS cause ill installed filament and X-axis didn't move cause unknown reason, and i merely checked motors wiring and connectors before plugging them back in and turning power on from switch.
i did use connection scheme from this http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/images/thu ... iring1.jpg

Edit;
If you have that Tor-browser then;
Control board with connections http://nimetonsarpyc6mm.onion/.media/99 ... agepng.png even if it, frankly, means shit.
Frankensteining the PC PSU into this http://nimetonsarpyc6mm.onion/.media/d7 ... gejpeg.jpg

P.s. X-axis, the extruders does not still work :oops:
Last edited by TheNoob on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:26 am

I know, I know.
:D

I just wanted to sensitize you to certain facts.
Despite the experience, 90% of the faults are due to the user's inattention. ;)

I expect you to have a short circuit somewhere. The problem is that you have to find them yourself.
And I would rather not be right. :lol:
The other colleague (JaredBurton) went quickly. :mrgreen:

I can only tell you a little bit.

Depending on your perception and detailed descriptions, we can solve the problem faster or later. :D
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.

TheNoob

Post by TheNoob » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:38 am

i will take the later-option with problem solving since it's most enjoyable :D

Any advice is always deeply appreciated!
Like i said, this is my first time :oops: ;) and i love tinkering so this is no biggie !

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:43 am

;)
Do you have the possibility to use any other high power supply?

TheNoob

Post by TheNoob » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Using PC PSU that can deliver 25A at 12V did not do the trick.. some tinkering is need3d since extruder does not have enough power but keeps skipping steps while pushing filament and while doing a test print the machine bizarrely "reads" X-axis movement while not moving its stepper :shock:

I could do this and that but would like to hear ideas, good or otherwise :D, as to what should i do now?

P.s. The original PSU has eaten something besides those bad capacitors since after replacing those and fuse it now drops my house fuse instead of on-board one :lol:

EDIT:
The original PSU has at least broken diode-bridge waiting to be replaced
X-axis does not move, cable and motor are fine.. is there schematics of wiring for those little drivers somewhere to be found?
Dont spare the rod ;) :D

TheNoob

Post by TheNoob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:50 pm

i'm now 99.9% sure that one of those little drivers is the culprit of this not-moving action since switching them around moved the problem to another motor. Found one spot that looked like badly soldered and i could almost swear that the motor jerked after applying solder but no such luck today :roll: And that damn thingy still out-puts voltage and display shows that all motors would be turning while doing a test print :evil:

Could really use those schematics since this is starting to smell like some bit is upside down at that microcontroller and this level of tiny is out of my reach.. can barely see the leads out of it :oops: and don't really want to try and desolder it into some sort of programming-rig so, i yield! :lol:
Are the schematics of that controller board same as here https://www.elecrow.com/download/4988.jpg ? Could get one from of those from a nearby store tomorrow so could move onto that extruder that keeps jumping while trying to extrude :P

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:40 am