Should I buy a new extruder?

sharkxelectronicspr

Should I buy a new extruder?

Post by sharkxelectronicspr » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Should I get a new extruder? So I have a i3 pro W which has a MK8 extruder. I have been the past 2 days trying to calibrate this. The difference is massive. I have a 0.3mm nozzle and tried first with an ABS filament, ask to extrude 100mm multiple times and it printed about 8 to 11mmI keep doing the calculation and the results where 1600+ steps/mm, I tested this with 95, 100, 150, and 170 step/mm. I gave up and place the 1545.45 that was my last calculation and the extruder spin very fast but for a short period of time, of course it only led to the extruder to start slipping, I applied some pressure with my finger on the spring which resulted on the motor to start spinning. I did the same with a PLA filament which lead to the same situation. The fact that the extruder stopped with a bit of pressure led me to check the voltages on the driver and is set at 1V which I assume is a pretty good voltage considering the max is 1.2. However I don't think that it needs that much power to push filament in. Is there something I'm missing? Should I change the mk8 extruder? Could it be the nozzle? could it be the control board? am I going crazy? Why it speed up with the step size change instead of prolong the time turning at the same speed as before? please help!!!!

P.S. Yes I did a bunch of searches on google, youtube and this group search engine and didn't saw anyone with this situation.

aarli

Re: Should I buy a new extruder?

Post by aarli » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Try to clean the nozzle. Also try above usual hotend temperature. The temp sensor might also be the issue, meaning it's telling printer that the temp is higher than it actually is. Lower temp means that filament can't extrude at normal speeds.
Geeetech A10 (with mods) + Geeetech A10M
Repetier Server on Raspberry PI 3, connected to printers for remote printing/firmware uploads.
Slic3r Prusa Edition, Simplify3D, Ultimaker Cura, Repetier host on the PC

0nailime

Re: Should I buy a new extruder?

Post by 0nailime » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:22 am

Hi, check the spring on your extruder, mine was loose so it barely grab the filament, causing the extruder impossible to calibrate, just bought a stronger slightly longer spring that make more friction to the filament.