Display showing weird symbols + extruding problems

Kibo

Display showing weird symbols + extruding problems

Post by Kibo » Thu May 31, 2018 5:04 pm

Hallo,

I have been printing quite much with my printer and so far I have been satisfied with the quality.

The problem occurred after approx. 60 printing hours:
The print was estimated to take 6 hours. When I came into the room after about 1 hour, the printer was moving always on the same line back and forth, without extruding material. Parallel to that, the display showed weird signs (see attachments).

Now, the error continues: If I start to print, let´s say a cube, on e.g. the right corner of the cube, the printer underextrudes and starts clicking.
I changed the nozzle, but it did not help. If I go to manual control and let the extruder move, it extrudes without problems. The rest of the model is printed ok, but always at some certain points, the extruder starts clicking again. Parallel to that, the display either shows complete bullsh* or changes the ° and temperature signs to some weird symbols.

I tried printing from SD card as well as when connected to a printer. I think there must be a software problem. I checked different models (that had been printed without flaws earlier), but always the same error. If I try to update the firmware on EasyPrint3D, nothing happens.

Anyone got some ideas?

Kind regards
René
Attachments
weird symbols 2.jpg
weird symbols 2.jpg (166.81 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
weird symbols 1.jpg
weird symbols 1.jpg (240 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
Firmware update.jpg
Firmware update.jpg (535.38 KiB) Viewed 7423 times

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Display showing weird symbols + extruding problems

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu May 31, 2018 6:38 pm

I also know this error.
It always occurs with long-lasting prints.
The problem with the extruder is a separate unrelated problem.
It's easy to handle.

Returning to the clutter on the display ;-)
This could be a more serious matter with regard to equipment and electromagnetic interference.
First of all, the display, or rather its built-in controller, is not adapted to connect such long cables. So it can work, but it doesn't have to work under such conditions.
In fact, I am not sure which components the manufacturer uses.

Secondly, in this case my printer always continues to print correctly.
In this case, the way in which the cables are routed is important.

Now I will be doing some experience with this topic, and trying to eliminate this mistake.
I'm sure I'll write something about it when my tests are over.

Kibo

Post by Kibo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Ok, it seems that the problem with the extruder is, indeed, unrelated to the display problem: I just found out that there is a defect contact between the stepper motor and the cable connecting it.

So does anybody know where I can get the right connectors for the stepper motor cables? I saw that Geeetech sells the complete cables but I would also like to shorten them. So I would be glad if I found only the connecting parts. Anybody knows their exact name?

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:11 pm

If you show me a picture of an item you need, I'll tell you what the item is (how it's called). ;-)
These components are available in every major electronics wholesaler.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:24 pm

I successfully completed the first tests.
I have to do some more and most probably this awful problem will be solved. :-D

Kibo

Post by Kibo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 am

Thank you for your offer. I checked the local eletronic store and finally found the correct connector, I think. I initially searched for connectors with pin distance 2,54 mm, but it had actually been 2,0 mm, that´s why I did not find the right ones.

The garbage on the display has disappeared since I repaired the connector of the extruder. Do you think it is possible, that because of the defect connector (occasionally connecting and disconnecting), additional electromagnetic signals were emitted that interfered with the display?

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:00 pm

This is very much possible.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.