Upgraded to TMC2208 - Y-Axis does not move

petererdnuss

Upgraded to TMC2208 - Y-Axis does not move

Post by petererdnuss » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:00 am

Hello everyone,

i own my i3 Pro C for quite a while now, still tweaking a bit here and there and tinkering with Cura.

I now decided to upgrade to TMC2208 stepper drivers.
I orderd two new drivers by geeetech via amazon.

I replaced the one for the X-Axis: it works perfect, even without finetuning via UART, just plug and play

After replacing the one for the Y-Axis my bed won't move anymore.

Changend both directions in the firmware -> X-Axis works properly
Checked both voltages on the drivers -> both at around 0,8A (need to during print, if motors get hot)
I swapped the two new TMC2208 drivers between X and Y -> X still works, Y doesn't (so both driver work fine)
I swapped the cables from X and Y -> the Y motor know works, the X motor doesn't move (so both motors work fine)
Y works fine with the origin driver -> so no error in the wiring (Y is inverted, as it should with the old driver)
X works fine with all three jumpers still in place, I removed the MS3 jumper on Y -> no changes, still doesn't move

So i just changed the direction of these two axies, and tested Y with the removed MS3 jumper as the FAQ says on "Upgrading to TMC2208" (http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 09&t=61933)

Or is there anything else I need to change on the firmware? Something the official FAQ does not mention?

I searched online for two days now, and no one else got the same problem with the TMC2208 (some got different problems, but not my problem, that one axis doesn't move at all)

So I hope that someone here may help me :)

Best regards
Peter

William
Site Admin

Re: Upgraded to TMC2208 - Y-Axis does not move

Post by William » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Maybe you can try to upload this new version fw for I3 PROC(Marlin 1.1.8).
You can find it on Firmware section
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

petererdnuss

Post by petererdnuss » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:05 am

William wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:26 pm
Maybe you can try to upload this new version fw for I3 PROC(Marlin 1.1.8).
You can find it on Firmware section
The Aruino Software v1.0.1 can't compile the new Marlin 1.1.8. (as the Tutorial says)
Arduino 1.8.9 seems to work

Trying my luck, fingers crossed

Edit:
Upload worked fine. Just needed to invert the X Axis

Next problem:
I think Marlin got the wrong pitch for my Z-rods.
I don't have the trapezoidal threads, just standard M8 thread, with a pitch of 1.25mm
The Z-movement is far to less, instead of 10mm just 1mm or so,
online on marlinfm.org there is an option in configuration.h to set the pitch (http://marlinfw.org/docs/configuration/ ... l#movement) - but in the geeetech version I downloaded there is no such option in the code to change the pitch. The search funktion doesn not find "pitch" in the entire marlin.

petererdnuss

Post by petererdnuss » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:25 pm

So I tried Marlin 1.1.8 with the TMC2208 on the Y-Axis - same result - not moving
I changed the Steps for the Z-Axis from 400 to 4000 but no proper result there

So i downgraded to my old Marlin and only one TMC2208 on the X-Axis to continue printing.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll have another try