Post-Build Problems...

Crowenson

Post-Build Problems...

Post by Crowenson » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi All!

New guy to 3D printing, purchased my 1st printer recently (M201) after much research and built it over the weekend. Build went pretty well, aside from a few tweaks to ensure the rod travel was smooth. I have worked with computer hardware for years so I would like to think I know my way around circuit boards etc.

After the build I went through the calibration process and that's when the problems began! The X axis will not move.... either through Repteir or manually using the LCD controls. I swapped the motor over, still no good. So I swapped the lead from the Y Axis and when I tried the Y axis calibration, the X motor began moving.... Progress!! So I tried the X lead on the Y motor and nothing :-/ Swapped the cables back and X still not working :-/ Checked the 3-in-1 motor cable with a multimeter and all 15 wires are connected so I am stumped:(

Second problem are the Z axis motors. 1 moves one way and the other spins in the opposite direction so they are basically fighting each other. I checked the motors, both are working fine on the Y axis so I'm stumped again:( The lovely lady from customer service sent me to a link that suggested I invert the Z axis, but that just caused both motors to turn in the opposite direction so same problem..... Software is 1.0.0.1 if that matters.

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Crowenson

Re: Post-Build Problems... Help!

Post by Crowenson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 pm

*Update* Ok so the X-Axis problem is sorted so that leaves the Z problem. 1 motor spins 1 way, the other spins in the opposite direction. Here is what I have tried so far:

- Swapped motors
- Swapped cables
- Changed the blue and green wires around on the board plug - motor just made a grinding-type noise then
- Swapped around the 3 jumpers under the motor driver (i dont know why i thought that would help!)
- Changed direction of the Z-Axis in system settings - that reversed both motors so still the same problem

Out of ideas and havent found anything on the forums that I can try next so if anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful

Cheers

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:45 am

Hi
:mrgreen:

if I have understood correctly I can see in your description two probable problems...
  • the first is a probable assembly error
  • the second - may be due to the incorrect sequence of cables in the plug-in connector.
If you do not solve these problems yourself by Monday, let me know, then we will solve them together.
At the moment, my capacity to provide assistance is very limited. :(
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

Crowenson

Post by Crowenson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:23 pm

_kaktus_ wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:45 am
Hi

if I have understood correctly I can see in your description two probable problems...

the first is a probable assembly error
The second - may be due to the incorrect sequence of cables in the plug-in connector.

If you do not solve these problems yourself, let us know until Monday, then we will solve them together.
At the moment, my capacity to provide assistance is very limited. :(
Hey buddy, thanks for the response. Fortunately I figured the problem last night! I rewired the plug for RHS Z-Axis motor on the board side and presto! It began turning in the correct direction!!

Unfortunately another small problem on the 1st test print. For some reason the extruder tries to begin the print on the left of the print bed (not on it, but right next to it) It tries for a few seconds, but then stops.

On a side note it seems that the Z-Axis is struggling to rise a little in the lowest 30% of the axis when I adjust it upwards using the manual controls. If I even put my finger gently under the A-Axis it rises no problems. After it gets over the bottom 30 it moves fine.

Any ideas folks?

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:36 pm

So I can help you more.

I have already returned home. ;)

I suggest that you recognize whether the direction control in the stepstick module is working properly.
The stepstick module has a DIR input.
A control signal from the microcontroller is given there. The logic one and zero (digital signals) determine the direction of rotation of the stepper motor.

If there is no electrical contact in the module socket, the control signal will not be interpreted correctly.
This may also be caused by dry joint.

To make this easy to diagnose
remove the stepstick module from the socket and reinsert it. You can also swap two modules in places.
If one module continues to malfunction (the first one), it may mean that the PCB has a cold solder.
The module may also be defective.

If an efficient module in the socket that is not working shows a malfunction, it may indicate a fault located in the socket.

For testing, I suggest loosening the clamping screws in the couplings connecting the motor shaft with the trapezoidal screw.
Then, moving the motors in opposite directions will not try to damage the printer.
Motors should rotate freely without transmitting movement to mechanical components.

And you'll be able to control your engines and watch your movements comfortably. ;)
Now you can set the engines in motion and carry out practical tests without worrying about causing another failure.
:D

If you are using a multimeter, you can very carefully measure the voltage at the DIR input of the module while setting the motion.
Rotate the motor clockwise and counter counterclockwise and observe the voltmeter's indications.
One measurement should show a voltage of about 3v3 and another a voltage of about 0V, depending on the selected value of the Z Motor Dir option,

If this is the case, the control is very good, and you should look elsewhere for faults if the printer is not working properly.

Carry out these experiments and let the results know.
In case of failure, we will diagnose the problem further.

I wish you a lot of perseverance and success. :)
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.

Crowenson

Post by Crowenson » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:32 pm

Hey Kaktus,

Thanks for your excellent advice. We are all very fortunate to have a guy like you around - your knowledge and helpful attitude has been amazing :)

So both problems solved now. Turns out i had to completely change the wires on the mobo side of the plug. After measuring output of the wires I swapped them all and all turning in the right direction! The motors were struggling a bit on the lower end of the axis, but I adjusted the voltage screw about a qtr of a turn and now they are good!

I have also solved the other problem of the hotened trying to print off the side of the bed. Turns out the home position of Z was too low and after the hotend finished heating it would just hot the side of the bed.

Now the other problems have been solved I just need to figure out why my filament keeps spooling around the hot end and clogging up all the time:(

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Crowenson wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Hey buddy, thanks for the response. Fortunately I figured the problem last night! I rewired the plug for RHS Z-Axis motor on the board side and presto! It began turning in the correct direction!!
Bravo! :)

Well done! ;)

Good for you! :D
Crowenson wrote:

Unfortunately another small problem on the 1st test print. For some reason the extruder tries to begin the print on the left of the print bed (not on it, but right next to it) It tries for a few seconds, but then stops.
Which slicer program do you use?
Such a phenomenon may be caused by an incorrect configuration.
Crowenson wrote:

On a side note it seems that the Z-Axis is struggling to rise a little in the lowest 30% of the axis when I adjust it upwards using the manual controls. If I even put my finger gently under the A-Axis it rises no problems. After it gets over the bottom 30 it moves fine.

Any ideas folks?
In this case, the Z-axis mechanism is most likely blocked.
In our subforum there was a topic concerning a similar case. Today I don't see it, maybe it is in the moderation queue.

When it appears again I will link it here.

I wrote a few words there and attached photographs.
So that everyone can check whether everything is built correctly.

You can also increase the stepper motor controller current in this case.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:00 am

_kaktus_ wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:36 pm
So I can help you more.

I have already returned home. ;)

I suggest that you recognize whether the direction control in the stepstick module is working properly.
The stepstick module has a DIR input.
A control signal from the microcontroller is given there. The logic one and zero (digital signals) determine the direction of rotation of the stepper motor.

If there is no electrical contact in the module socket, the control signal will not be interpreted correctly.
This may also be caused by dry joint.

To make this easy to diagnose
remove the stepstick module from the socket and reinsert it. You can also swap two modules in places.
If one module continues to malfunction (the first one), it may mean that the PCB has a cold solder.
The module may also be defective.

If an efficient module in the socket that is not working shows a malfunction, it may indicate a fault located in the socket.

For testing, I suggest loosening the clamping screws in the couplings connecting the motor shaft with the trapezoidal screw.
Then, moving the motors in opposite directions will not try to damage the printer.
Motors should rotate freely without transmitting movement to mechanical components.

And you'll be able to control your engines and watch your movements comfortably. ;)
Now you can set the engines in motion and carry out practical tests without worrying about causing another failure.

If you are using a multimeter, you can very carefully measure the voltage at the DIR input of the module while setting the motion.
Rotate the motor clockwise and counter counterclockwise and observe the voltmeter's indications.
One measurement should show a voltage of about 3v3 and another a voltage of about 0V, depending on the selected value of the Z Motor Dir option,

If this is the case, the control is very good, and you should look elsewhere for faults if the printer is not working properly.

Carry out these experiments and let the results know.
In case of failure, we will diagnose the problem further.

I wish you a lot of perseverance and success. :)
I wrote such a big story that I forgot about one fact. :)

The original design is equipped with one stepstick module for the Z axis. :!:

Unfortunately not mine anymore.

All my remarks are written through the prism of my expanded controller board.
I needed to explain this because probably not one reader wonders what this cactus ate ... :lol:

Those who are curious can look here