Stepper Motor Drivers

SIMONZ

Stepper Motor Drivers

Post by SIMONZ » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:44 am

Hi,

After a few start up problems with motors skipping which are now almost sorted, one problem I have is setting the motor voltage. Can the drivers be changed? There are some Black range drivers, Purple drivers (on Geeetech spares) and Digital ones. Which ones can I use?

I have the M201 with the GTM32 board.

Thanks.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Stepper Motor Drivers

Post by _kaktus_ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:14 pm

You can learn a lot about the stepper motor driver module from the website of one of the producers.
The schematic diagram and the integrated circuit data sheet are available there.

The reference voltage Vref that sets the stepper motor current is at the following level:
  • X-axis: 0,60V
  • Y-axis: 0,55V
  • Z-axis: 0,76V
  • Extruder 0: 0,55V
  • Extruder 1: 0,55V
These are the values chosen by me experimentally. These are exemplary values, these are not pattern values!

We measure Vref tension according to the William guide.

Setting an unnecessarily high value of current causes excessive heating of motors. So it is worth having in mind.
You can place the driver modules interchangeably. You can even try to use others that have an identical pin topology and will work well in this application.

When choosing a different type of controller, pay attention to the range of the motor power supply voltage.
You have a printer model that has an efficient power supply with a higher output voltage (24V DC).

As a curiosity I can tell you that a few days ago I bought myself for testing the controller on a TI DRV8825 chip with a higher range of output current.
I bought it for tests with the Z axis in mind, where two motors are connected to one controller.

That's it. Here I have a question for @William or Geeetech team.
In the case of Z axis, the coils of two motors are connected in series or parallel?

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:42 pm

_kaktus_ wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:14 pm

That's it. Here I have a question for @William or Geeetech team.
In the case of Z axis, the coils of two motors are connected in series or parallel?
I have to answer the question I asked myself.
The coils of the two motors are connected in parallel.
This can easily be seen in the schematic diagram.

wycinek_GTM_Pro_vB-stepper_driver.png
section - stepper driver
wycinek_GTM_Pro_vB-stepper_driver.png (224.14 KiB) Viewed 18488 times
In my opinion, this is not a happy solution. They can be called differently ... but for what reason :?: ;)

I solved this situation by construction.
dual_stepstick_v2.jpg
kaktus' module
dual_stepstick_v2.jpg (290.65 KiB) Viewed 18488 times
dodatki_sprzetowe_dla_M201.jpg
hardware accessories for the M201 printer
dodatki_sprzetowe_dla_M201.jpg (513 KiB) Viewed 18488 times
Since the adaptor was developed, the printer has been working even better and prints are more accurate and look nicer.
The printer does not lose steps when moving the Z-axis mechanisms. :D

I can prepare a few copies of the adapter for several people most interested in modification.
:lol:
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

Gingko
Site Admin

Post by Gingko » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Wow! That's a great improvement for Z-axis!

Gingko
Site Admin

Post by Gingko » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Looks like you have tested this for some month.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:45 am

Hi Gingko.
:mrgreen:

I've always thought you're an intelligent girl.
I will explain that this version of the adapter module was developed at the beginning of May this year. ;)
A link to the photo gallery is available especially for you. :D

You've certainly noticed that the other stepsctick modules also have an add-on.
Are you familiar with these additional modules and their functionality :?:
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:10 pm

I would like to recommend the following description to all of you.

Turning up current - A4988.
:D

FastKat

Post by FastKat » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:42 am

Kaktus
Thank you for the info you've been putting here. Thank you Thank you Thank you :!:
This is my first post, I'll try to give some details.
My first printer is a Geeetech I3 Pro C dual that never worked right. Turned out its main problem was in software, its running as a single now.
My second printer is a M201 I just finished building. Several problems, I've been reading through this forum for info. Again thanks, several items corrected already thanks again.

The M201 at this time has problems with extruders, z axis, x axis. maybe more, I'm still trying to calibrate

The extruders fans were broken and shoved into the drive heads. impact damage. They were 3 wire. I've replaced them with 2 wire, all I could find.
Could use part number for 3 wire fans.

The X axis will not move at all I think I just found the problem looking at your second picture in this discussion, there is no step stick in the X axis slot!! It's in extruder 3. From the factory wired wrong.

The Z axis trouble is compound. First something is out of alignment, binding the rods when everything is tightened down. I will work through that and correct. But even with the screw rods disconnected, the z motors will barely turn, turn stop and growl, or suddenly turn very fast. Am going to check voltage. Which bring me to my question. How could I get one of your adapters to uses 2 stepsticks? Running 2 motors on 1 driver is not good, in my opinion

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi.

You're right about your observations.
I often had the impression that the components are assembled and prepared very carelessly.
Because of such sloppiness, the customers have many unnecessary problems.

You can treat this as training. Once you have gone through it, you will be able to use your printer successfully. :lol:

Can you include a photo of the motor that is currently being added to the kit as a Z-axis drive?
I'm interested in the marking.

My printer has been built and run with original components, few of which have been replaced due to premature wear and tear.
I have developed a few additional electronic modules that make this printer model more reliable. (or at all allow for the operation of this model) :lol:

But the most important thing is to build a printer so that all the mechanisms work smoothly and without binding.

This is the most important basis. :!:

If you have a problem with something, present it in detail, then I will be able to help you solve it. :D

FastKat

Post by FastKat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 am

Hi Kaktus

I've gotten further down the calibration list on the M201. Have tried several test prints. Here's the details...

Both extruders are stable at .800vdc VRef. Having small amount of stripping on extruder 0, but I think it is from next item

Both hotend and bed reported temps are NOT true. Using IR thermometer to make correction curve.
Am having adhesion to plate problems, also think is temp related.

X and Y axis are working stable, I set the VRef. at .800 vdc for them also.

Z axis has problems. I finally dug out the mechanical root problem. the 2 metal "boxes" that move up and down are not true. This holds everything in a bind, making much grief. I think this is the core problem on many of these builds. ATM, I don't have a easy fix, running with one screw in each "Z-axis nut".
Even with the lead screws disconnected, I had to push the Vref. to 1.001 vdc to get z axis to work. Still has weird "pulse" at approx. 40 mm height when running z axis up in test. Not showing up in usage though.

Am not adding another motor. Just do not like the one stick driving two motors. Bad design IMO.

My questions
What's the best setup for plate adhesion?
Any ideas on trueing or replacing the "X axis ends"?
How may I acquire one of your stepstick adapters to run one stepstick per motor?

Thanks again for your help. The info here is the only way I have gotten this far, no local help at all.

'Kat