Firmware Location

Strokerjoe

Firmware Location

Post by Strokerjoe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Hello to All,
Where is the firmware for the Geeetech I3 Pro X GT2560 Rev A (not A+ if it matters). I have been having a numerous amount of problems with different results. Mostly I have been able to fix some but not others. I have only ran the printer a handful of times with mixed results. During one run the LCD display scrambled and I could not read a thing, however the print continued to the end of the print cycle. But not sure if the screen went back to normal after the print or on restart, It only happened ounce. But currently (now) when I turn on the printer I get a completely blank and rapidly blinking green screen no black bars or blocks or rows, just a rapidly blinking or twitching screen. However when I connect my laptop the LCD display goes normal. I can access the menus and change settings just like it does when you have the USB(laptop) connected and the printer off and how it will powers up the LCD but you cannot control anything. The printer is completely dead and no control at all. Things had been working fine, as far as printing goes, weather it be a good print or bad print. SO, because every one talks about firmware update I had since tried and tried to locate it. The area that they claim it is in just sends you in circles. If some one knows about this problem please advise. If need be I did take a picture and video of the problem. If I can upload a video I will if need be.
Thanks for any assistance.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Firmware Location

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi
:mrgreen:

Show the prepared materials as much as possible.
In the forum you can add a picture and a link to your video.

From your description I conclude that the symptoms may indicate problems with the power supply of the LCD module.
If you connect the USB cable and the controller starts working, it confirms my thesis.

The power supply (5V DC) of the controller is additionally drawn from the USB connector. And then the symptoms stop, but the printer does not work because it needs different voltages as well.
;)
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:16 am

Try to refer to this pic then check it.
Normal is 5V
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV.png
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 14725 times

Strokerjoe

Post by Strokerjoe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Thank you, Thank you and thank you again, I now have a starting point. I did indeed checked the voltage and it reads 2.0 VDC. No USB connection to the printer during test and 4.36 VDC. It would be nice if an electrical schematic exists for this board. Can you suggest the next step. I fear that the problem is the main board itself. Why it happened is any ones guess. Has this happen to others? Is there any guarantee with this board? I did have steeping problems at the start a couple of times and a rapid X,Y shift to its next point but didn't quite make it. I kept all the failed prints if need to be viewed. For awhile it ran much better after some tweaking until this happened. Now it is totally useless unless this can be resolved. Again thanks for your help.

Strokerjoe

Post by Strokerjoe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Sorry, I forgot to say that the 4.36 V DC measurement was with the USB connected to the printer. I was just curious and thought I would include it here.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi
:mrgreen:

Does the main power supply provide the correct voltage :?:
I expect that its outputs should be 12V DC.

If this is the case, the problem lies on the controller board or in the connected periphery.

A few details.
From your description I conclude that the voltage pulsates (flashing display). You have made a measurement that confirms that the supply voltage is not correct.

This may be the case if :
  • The power supply on the controller board (step down inverter) has been damaged.
  • The power consumption of the powered components is too high.
The first case.
The cause of the defect had to be found. I don't know if you can repair the electronics yourself.

The second case.
This situation may be caused by a short circuit at the PSU output.
A component can be damaged. Or incorrectly connected.

You could deal with that.
I suggest to disconnect the peripherals at the beginning, so all heating and measurements, engines. To leave the controller board and the display module alone.
Of course, this should be done with the main power supply disconnected.

We come back to the beginning. :roll:

The mains power supply is defective.
Solution: Replacement with a working unit or repair attempt.
It would also be useful to try to identify the cause of its malfunction.

I wish you perseverance in finding the cause of the malfunction, and a quick repair to your printer.
Let us know what is going on. ;)
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.

Strokerjoe

Post by Strokerjoe » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:03 pm

Here we Go:

I will try to make this as short as possible.

1st off this is for KAKTUS, what do you mean "Show the prepared materials as much as possible." Do you mean 3D printed projects?

2nd "In the forum you can add a picture and a link to your video" I know how to upload pictures but I do not know how to upload videos or make a link. I don't use any social media like twitter, YOU-TUBE or any thing like that. If there is a better way? I would like to upload video of my printer in action and working fine prior to it's failure.(outside of final tweaking).

3rd I have a CNC router that I had built years ago, so I know a few things about this.

4th I am a retired electronics, mechanics and electrical engineer. So yes, I could probe and fix at the component level but will not do so because it is still under warranty and would be very stupid of me to do so and void the warranty. A loose wire or a forgotten connection or even a cross connection I would take care of. But none of that has accurred.

OK now the hart of the problem. No one answered the first part of my question and that is "where is the firmware ?" Well during the time waiting for a reply to the firmware I did find something but it is firmware dated back in 2015. Somewhere I read that "check for updated firmware often because it almost gets updated daily...." Seeing a date of 2015 doesn't reflect daily not even monthly or yearly. Is there a newer or the latest firmware or a more recent one. I do not want to replace or overwrite the firmware that is already installed if it's an older version.

Lastly I feel very stupid for not checking the power supply first off and just as surprised that no one mentioned that as one of the first things to check. Testing and checking this way is basic. I did have it on my mind but never followed it thru, too busy. I have many other projects that also need my attention and this setback puts me far behind. That being said the DC Voltage on the far right terminal next to the voltage adjustment pot is 4.8 V DC and the next one to the left of that one is 4.8 V DC and the third is 0.0 V DC (this is with no load on the P.S.) apparently it's the power supply. I checked the resistance of the heating pad and the Hot end for shorts seeing how this would have the most load on the P.S. Nothing seems obvious but I cannot be sure not knowing the true resistance value on both devises.

To sum things up, where can I find and be sure that the firmware is the latest version. I really need to get back to printing. How do I get things started on replacing the power supply that is still under warranty?

Thanks to everyone so far that has helped me in this. Being retired and not having to answer to things made me lazy.
P.S. I really want to upload my video even if I get this resolved because this would be a guide to others that have the same problem.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:00 pm

Strokerjoe wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:03 pm
Here we Go:

I will try to make this as short as possible.

1st off this is for KAKTUS, what do you mean "Show the prepared materials as much as possible." Do you mean 3D printed projects?
I mean your photos and videos you mentioned earlier. :roll:
Strokerjoe wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:03 pm
2nd "In the forum you can add a picture and a link to your video" I know how to upload pictures but I do not know how to upload videos or make a link. I don't use any social media like twitter, YOU-TUBE or any thing like that. If there is a better way? I would like to upload video of my printer in action and working fine prior to it's failure.(outside of final tweaking).
In order to provide a link to a film you should make it available somewhere on the Internet. You can do this with YouTube or Vimeo.
Another option is to use a ftp server or a www server on your friend's site.
Such solutions come to my mind. ;)

Don't worry about your oversight. ;)
Only those who do nothing make no mistakes.

And I am glad that you have found the malfunctioning element yourself. :D

For replacing the main power supply, you can contact your dealer.

Now we come back to your question, which you unnecessarily distinguished with red colour. :P A simple reminder would suffice. :D
I do not know the stage of development of your printer model. So I will not confirm if there is a newer version of the software than you found.

Perhaps this message will make it easier for you to continue your work if you haven't read it yet.
Additionally, on the forum we have a special topic referring to the firmware. You are certainly interested in section: 2) Firmware for Prusa I3 X(GT2560). Take note of the comment at the beginning of the description, regarding the threaded screws.

Just in case, I would like to remind you that you need to make sure which model of controller board you have. Only then can you start uploading the corresponding firmware file.

I greet you warmly.
It is a pleasure to talk to you. :mrgreen: